Force exerted on inside of a box by a gas

In summary, the problem involves finding the force due to internal pressure on each wall of a sealed cubic metal box containing air at different temperatures. The ideal gas law is used to calculate the pressure of the air inside the box, and the force is found using the equation F = P/A. However, there seems to be a discrepancy between the calculated force and the expected answer, causing confusion for the person attempting the problem.
aolson

Homework Statement

A cubic metal box that has 27.8-cm (.278 m) long edges contains air at a pressure of 1.00 atm (~101,300 Pa) and a temperature of 303 K. The box is sealed so that the enclosed volume remains constant, and it is heated to a temperature of 416 K. Find the force due to the internal air pressure on each wall of the box

Homework Equations

1. (P1*V1)/T1 = (P2*V2)/T2
2. P = F/A
3. Area of one side = length * width

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea why I am not getting the correct answer here... From other sources I've found online, it looks like my methodology is correct.

Since the amount of gas is constant, I used the form of the ideal gas law given in equation 1. Since volume is constant, I canceled it from both sides of the equation, which leaves me with 101300 Pa/303 K = P2/ 416 K, which gives P2 = 139078 Pa. The area of one side is .278^2 = .077284 m^2. Solving for force in equation 2 and plugging in these numbers gives F = 139078 Pa * .07728 m^2 = 10747 N. However, this isn't the right answer.

Did I do something wrong here? This method seems to make sense, but doesn't yield the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
never studied pressure before, but don't you have to consider the area of the entire box when calculating the force?
P = F / (area of entire box) ?

I did consider it, and maybe I should have mentioned that in my first post. Since the container in question is a cube, the total area of the inside is six times the area of one side (since a cube has 6 faces). That would give F = 139078 * 6*.077284 = 64487 N. (this isn't the correct answer either). Since I just want the force exerted on each wall (i.e. just one of the walls), I would have to divide that force by six. Dividing by six just gives me the same answer as I listed in the original post.

well, what is the right answer then? I get 64 507N, my only other guess is if you do temperatures in celcius, then it's 224 850 N
(edit: these need to be divided by 6 i forgot that part)

Last edited:
The thing is, I don't know the right answer. Are you familiar with LON-CAPA at all? The homework problems are presented on this online service called LON-CAPA. You input your answer and it tells you whether you are right or wrong. You don't know what the right answer is until you enter it. We get ten tries at each problem, so I usually try a few things if I don't get the problem right away. Typically, if your answer is close (say, within 10, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the problem) it will count the problem as correct.

Edit: I checked this using temperatures in celcius, still no dice.

1. What is the force exerted on the inside of a box by a gas?

The force exerted on the inside of a box by a gas is known as gas pressure. It is the result of the collisions of gas molecules with the walls of the box. The more collisions that occur, the higher the gas pressure will be.

2. How is the force exerted by a gas calculated?

The force exerted by a gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure (P) is equal to the number of moles of gas (n) multiplied by the universal gas constant (R) and the temperature (T) in Kelvin, divided by the volume (V) of the box.

3. What factors affect the force exerted by a gas on the inside of a box?

The force exerted by a gas is affected by several factors, including the number of gas molecules, the temperature of the gas, and the volume of the box. An increase in any of these factors will result in a higher gas pressure and therefore a stronger force exerted on the inside of the box.

4. How does the force exerted by a gas change with temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, if the volume and number of gas molecules remain constant, the force exerted by a gas will increase as the temperature increases. This is because an increase in temperature causes the gas molecules to move faster and collide with the walls of the box more frequently, resulting in a higher gas pressure.

5. Can the force exerted by a gas be controlled?

Yes, the force exerted by a gas can be controlled by adjusting the temperature, volume, or number of gas molecules in the box. This is why gas pressure can be used in various applications, such as in engines and pneumatic systems, to perform work and generate force.