Force exerted on walls of metal box

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rubidium
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Force Metal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 8K views
Rubidium
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
force exerted on walls of metal box...please help!

1. Homework Statement
A cubic metal box that has 20-cm-long edges contains air at a pressure of 1.0 atm and a temperature of 300 K. The box is sealed so that the enclosed volume remains constant, and it is heated to a temperature of 400 K. Find the force due to the internal air pressure on each wall of the box.




2. Homework Equations
PV=nRT




3. The Attempt at a Solution
F=[tex]\left|[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\vec{p}[/tex]/[tex]\Delta<i>t</i>[/tex][tex]\right|[/tex]
v=[tex]\sqrt{3RT/M}[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{3(8.314 J/molxK)(300K)/0.029kg/mol)}[/tex]=507.957 m/s
Delta[/tex][tex]\vec{p}[/tex]/[tex]=mv^2=(9423.9987g)(507.957m/s)=4.787x10^6<br /> I just need delta t[/tex]
[tex][/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Forget about v. You don't need to count individual particles, PV=nRT will give you the pressure. Pressure is force per unit area.
 
How do I use all the information given in the problem to find that?
 
PV=nRT. How many variables in this equation change when the temperature is varied in your problem?
 
I think the pressure would change but the volume remains constant in the box. Is the pressure given in the problem negligible or should I be able to use it?
 
Only P and T change, right. But you are given the initial P is 1atm. What's the final P? You certainly shouldn't neglect the pressure change!
 


I'm having severe trouble on this one:

I know that P1(T1)/T2 = P2

so P2 x (length)^2 x (6 sides) = Internal Pressure Force.

But I'm not getting the right values. Even if I just do P2 x (Length^2) i don't get the right answer.
 


MeKnos said:
I'm having severe trouble on this one:

I know that P1(T1)/T2 = P2

so P2 x (length)^2 x (6 sides) = Internal Pressure Force.

But I'm not getting the right values. Even if I just do P2 x (Length^2) i don't get the right answer.

Show your whole solution. We can't really be expected to guess what you did wrong.
 


101300 (400) / 300 = P2 = 135093

135093 Pa x (.20^2) x 6 = 32422 N

and the other way 135093 Pa (.2^2) = 5403 N

neither worked
 


MeKnos said:
101300 (400) / 300 = P2 = 135093

135093 Pa x (.20^2) x 6 = 32422 N

and the other way 135093 Pa (.2^2) = 5403 N

neither worked

I don't know. I got 5403N as well. Significant figures issue??