1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force experienced by a tennis ball

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    A .065-kg tennis ball moving to the right with a speed of 15 m/s is stuck by a tennis racket, causing it to move to the left with a speed of 15 m/s. If the ball remains in contact with the racket for 0.020s, what is the magnitude of the average force experienced by the ball?

F=mv/t I think that's the equation to use.

So if I plug in 0.065 for mass 15 m/s for velocity and .020s for time I would get 48.75 N but that's not an answer choice.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The change of the momentum is equal to the impulse: Δ(mv)=FΔt.

The velocity of the ball turns to opposite. How much does its momentum change if the velocity changes from 15 m/s to -15 m/s?

ehild

4. May 1, 2012 #3
    It goes from .975 kgm/s to -.975 kgm/s so it changes by 1.95 kgm/s.

5. May 1, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

So does that lead to a match with one of the options offered, now?

6. May 1, 2012 #5
    So then if thats the case then 1.95 kgm/s=Ft and t equals .020 I would get 97.5 for force but that isn't an answer choice. What am I doing wrong?

7. May 1, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

97.5 N should be correct.

ehild

8. May 1, 2012 #7
    I feel dumb now, our teacher likes to round and one of the answer choices is 98. Thanks guys.

9. May 1, 2012 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not just rounding, that's the teacher correctly using significant figures

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook