Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force experienced by a tennis ball

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    A .065-kg tennis ball moving to the right with a speed of 15 m/s is stuck by a tennis racket, causing it to move to the left with a speed of 15 m/s. If the ball remains in contact with the racket for 0.020s, what is the magnitude of the average force experienced by the ball?

F=mv/t I think that's the equation to use.

So if I plug in 0.065 for mass 15 m/s for velocity and .020s for time I would get 48.75 N but that's not an answer choice.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

The change of the momentum is equal to the impulse: Δ(mv)=FΔt.

The velocity of the ball turns to opposite. How much does its momentum change if the velocity changes from 15 m/s to -15 m/s?

ehild

4. May 1, 2012 #3
    It goes from .975 kgm/s to -.975 kgm/s so it changes by 1.95 kgm/s.

5. May 1, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

So does that lead to a match with one of the options offered, now?

6. May 1, 2012 #5
    So then if thats the case then 1.95 kgm/s=Ft and t equals .020 I would get 97.5 for force but that isn't an answer choice. What am I doing wrong?

7. May 1, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper

97.5 N should be correct.

ehild

8. May 1, 2012 #7
    I feel dumb now, our teacher likes to round and one of the answer choices is 98. Thanks guys.

9. May 1, 2012 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not just rounding, that's the teacher correctly using significant figures

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook