1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force fields, vectors, and work (mostly just confused by notation)

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a force field F = c(iy - jx). From the force field calculate the work required to move a particle from the origin to the point 2i + 4j without acceleration along the two different paths:

• From the origin to 2i then to 2i + 4j
    • From the origin to 4j then to 2i + 4j

Comment whether the force field is conservative or not

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm just slightly confused by the notation used in the question. I know that i and j are just the unit vectors in the x and y directions, but what is c in the force field expression? And if i and j are already noted in this expression, why are x and y used as well?

Assuming c is just some arbitrary constant, then is the work done simply 6c J for both paths? My logic for this is that for the first path the work done is 2c J along the x-axis and then 4c J along the y-axis (and the other way around for the second path).

Thus the force field is conservative (work done is independent of the path taken).

Is my logic correct, or am I missing something? Thank you :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

There are conditions for the conservativeness of a force field, you should check one of these (formally) before concluding if it is conservative. If c is an arbitrary constant, x and y are probably variables, so F=F(x, y).
  4. Apr 21, 2010 #3
    I don't understand - how can I check these conditions formally? Have I not already done so by showing that the work done is the same for both paths in the first part of the question? Note that I am asked to comment on whether or not the force field is conservative, which implies that there are no additional calculations required.
  5. Apr 21, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

Well, then that's it - you have shown that the work is independent of the path taken.

You could also calculate ∇ x F, which equals 0 for a conservative force field, but since you're not asked to..
  6. Apr 21, 2010 #5
    OK, thanks! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook