1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force needed to support Suspension of a Vehicle

1. Sep 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A model for the suspension of a vehicle is shown where the spring has stiffness k = 178 N/mm and an unstreched length of 347 mm.

http://imgur.com/1dTVs12

Determine the value P and the force supported by member AB so that the suspension has the equilibrium position shown where member AB is horizontal.

2. Relevant equations
    ΣF=0
    ΣFxi+ΣFyj=0,
    ΣFx=0, and ΣFy=0.
    Spring Law: Fs=kδ=k(L-L0)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started by trying to find the force of the spring
    Fs= 178 N/mm (RCA-347mm)

Finding RCA I took the pythagorean theorem (141)2+(229)2=RCA, RCA=268

However when I put that number back into the equation it's a negative number... I don't understand why or what I'm doing wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think I saw this in another thread too ? Anyway, the force the spring exercises being negative says something about the direction it is working in. That's perfectly fine. Your problem statement says nothing about it, but I suppose the picture has AB horizontal and the car in a steady state equilibrium. Then your equations come in useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted