Force needed to support Suspension of a Vehicle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Alison A.
Messages
86
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


A model for the suspension of a vehicle is shown where the spring has stiffness k = 178 N/mm and an unstreched length of 347 mm.

http://imgur.com/1dTVs12

Determine the value P and the force supported by member AB so that the suspension has the equilibrium position shown where member AB is horizontal.

Homework Equations


ΣF=0
ΣFxi+ΣFyj=0,
ΣFx=0, and ΣFy=0.
Spring Law: Fs=kδ=k(L-L0)

The Attempt at a Solution


I started by trying to find the force of the spring
Fs= 178 N/mm (RCA-347mm)

Finding RCA I took the pythagorean theorem (141)2+(229)2=RCA, RCA=268

However when I put that number back into the equation it's a negative number... I don't understand why or what I'm doing wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I saw this in another thread too ? Anyway, the force the spring exercises being negative says something about the direction it is working in. That's perfectly fine. Your problem statement says nothing about it, but I suppose the picture has AB horizontal and the car in a steady state equilibrium. Then your equations come in useful.