Statics: four crates, four springs, free body diagram

In summary, the model for stack of crates shows that the deformation is the sum of the stretching of the individual springs.
Alison A.

Homework Statement

In figure (a), four identical crates weighing 2,000 lb each are stacked one on top of another, and in figure (b) a simple model for determining the deformation of the stack of crates is shown. In this model, each spring has the same stiffness k = 4,500 lb/in. and the forces are determined using the following idealization. Half the weight of the top crate is applied to point A and half to point B. Similarly, the half the weight of the next crate is applied to point B and half to point C, and so on. Determine the deflections δA, δB.

http://imgur.com/XhWr2YE

Hint given: Begin by drawing FBDs of joints A, B, C and D. Starting from the top, you should find that each spring carries progressively larger weight. Note that the problem statement requests deflections, which are not necessarily the same as stretches. For the bottom spring, anchored at one end, its deflection is identical to its stretch. For all the spring above it, however, the deflection is the cumulative sum of the stretches below and including that spring.

Homework Equations

Spring Law: Fs=kδ=k(L-L0)

The Attempt at a Solution

A 1000lb = 4500 (lb/in) (δ+B+C+D)
B 2000lb = 4500 (lb/in) (δ+C+D)
C 2000lb = 45000 (lb/in) (δ+D)
D 2000lb = 4500 (lb/in) δ

I don't know where I'm going wrong here. No actually distances are given so I'm assuming you just have to solve for δ, but is my approach correct?

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alison A. said:

The Attempt at a Solution

A 1000lb = 4500 (lb/in) (δ+B+C+D)
B 2000lb = 4500 (lb/in) (δ+C+D)
C 2000lb = 45000 (lb/in) (δ+D)

I don't know where I'm going wrong here. No actually distances are given so I'm assuming you just have to solve for δ, but is my approach correct?

Can you define your variables, it's hard to interpret your attempt. There is δa, δb, δc and δd but you only use δ.
It looks like you've ignored the accumulative forces, that is, the bottom crate D has the force from three crates on top of it. not just:

(Note that that 2000lb comes from the top half of crate D and the bottom half of crate C)

billy_joule said:
Can you define your variables, it's hard to interpret your attempt. There is δa, δb, δc and δd but you only use δ.
It looks like you've ignored the accumulative forces, that is, the bottom crate D has the force from three crates on top of it. not just:
(Note that that 2000lb comes from the top half of crate D and the bottom half of crate C)

My bad,

A 1000lb = 4500 (lb/in) (δABCD)
B 2000lb + 1000lb = 4500 (lb/in) (δBCD)
C 2000lb +2000lb +1000lb = 45000 (lb/in) (δCD)
D 2000lb +2000lb +2000lb +1000lb = 4500 (lb/in) δD

Maybe? The weights are confusing me.

That's closer but not quite there.

Alison A. said:
A 1000lb = 4500 (lb/in) (δA+δB+δC+δD)

δA is the sum of the compressions of all four springs, Let's call the compression of just the top spring δAB, (that is, how much closer A gets to B) and similarly for the other springs.

EDIT:Fixed incorrect subscripts
so
δDDE
δCCD + δDE
δBBC + δCD + δDE
And so on

Can you see the problem with your attempt now?

Last edited:
billy_joule said:
That's closer but not quite there.
δA is the sum of the compressions of all four springs, Let's call the compression of just the top spring δAB, (that is, how much closer A gets to B) and similarly for the other springs.

so
δDDE
δCDE + δCE
δBBC + δDE + δCE
And so on

Can you see the problem with your attempt now?
Ohh ok, so it would be
A 1000lb = 4500 (lb/in) (δAEBECEDE)
B 2000lb + 1000lb = 4500 (lb/in) (δBECEDE)
C 2000lb +2000lb +1000lb = 45000 (lb/in) (δCEDE)
D 2000lb +2000lb +2000lb +1000lb = 4500 (lb/in) δDE
?

Sorry, There were errors in my subscripts in post #4. I've edited in corrections.

The problem is how you're calculating the deflection of each spring, you need to consider each in isolation and then sum them, that is, the parentheses of all you attempts is not right.

eg for δC :

δC = δDE + δCD

Fs=kδ

FD+C+B+A = kδDE
(7,000lb) = (4500 lb/in) δDE

and

FC+B+A = kδCD
(5,000lb) = (4500 lb/in) δCD

So
δC = ( FD+C+B+A / k ) + (FC+B+A / k)

And so on for the other crates.

Can you see the problem with your attempt now?[/QUOTE]
billy_joule said:
Sorry, There were errors in my subscripts in post #4. I've edited in corrections.

The problem is how you're calculating the deflection of each spring, you need to consider each in isolation and then sum them, that is, the parentheses of all you attempts is not right.

eg for δC :

δC = δDE + δCD

Fs=kδ

FD+C+B+A = kδDE
(7,000lb) = (4500 lb/in) δDE

and

FC+B+A = kδCD
(5,000lb) = (4500 lb/in) δCD

So
δC = ( FD+C+B+A / k ) + (FC+B+A / k)

And so on for the other crates.

ALRIGHT, SO
δA=(FD+C+B+A/k)+(FC+B+A/k)+(FB+A/k)+(FA/k)
δB=(FD+C+B+A/k)+(FC+B+A/k)+(FB+A/k)
δC=(FD+C+B+A/k)+(FC+B+A/k)
δD=(FD+C+B+A/k)

I got them correct :)
Thank you so much!

If you have any time do you think you could take a look at my other posts from today? I'd really appreciate it.

Likes billy_joule

What is the purpose of a free body diagram in statics?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object in a static equilibrium. It helps to identify and analyze these forces, allowing for the calculation of the object's stability and potential motion.

How do I determine the number of unknown forces in a statics problem with four crates and four springs?

To determine the number of unknown forces, we can use the equation: Funknown = 3N - 3, where N is the number of crates/springs in the problem. In this case, with four crates and four springs, there will be 9 unknown forces.

What is the relationship between the force exerted by a spring and its displacement?

The relationship between the force exerted by a spring and its displacement is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

How do I calculate the net force on an object in a static equilibrium?

To calculate the net force, we need to first draw a free body diagram and identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, we can use the equations ΣFx = 0 and ΣFy = 0 to find the horizontal and vertical components of the net force. The magnitude and direction of the net force can then be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

Can the four crates and four springs system be in a state of static equilibrium without any external forces?

No, the four crates and four springs system cannot be in a state of static equilibrium without any external forces. In order for an object to be in static equilibrium, the net force and the net torque acting on the object must be equal to zero. Without any external forces, there would be no way to balance the forces and torques of the crates and springs, resulting in a state of dynamic equilibrium or motion.