Force of a full body jerk (myoclonic jerk)

In summary, this conversation is about how to measure the force of a full body jerk and how difficult it is to do so. It seems that the average person could lift about 150lbs with the back and neck muscles involved in the jerk.
freexd
Hi there,

I would like to know how much force a full body jerk creates. You've probably all experienced this, when you were just about to sleep in, when suddenly your whole body jerks.

I know that it is probably very difficult to measure the force excactly. But what might be the probable range?

Physics news on Phys.org
freexd said:
I would like to know how much force a full body jerk creates.
Force where exactly? You can look up at the maximal forces that muscles can produce, to get an idea of an upper limit. But it's difficult to measure those forces in vivo during a seizure. EMG can give you a rough estimate if well calibrated.

Yes, of course the first question must be which muscels are even involved. And secondly their maximum force is decisive.

I would say, from my experience that in most cases the muscles of the back and neck are primarily involved. I found the info that jerks are about 10-20% of the muscles maximum force.

You are right, the question is now how to measure this properly. My idea would be - how much weight can an average person lift with the back and neck?
I would estimate about 150lbs.

Then the formula f = m×a could be applied. Is that correct so far?

freexd said:
My idea would be - how much weight can an average person lift with the back and neck?
I would estimate about 150lbs.

Then the formula f = m×a could be applied. Is that correct so far?

The external forces the body creates are very different from the muscle forces, because of leverage. And F=ma is not useful here at all.

You should rather look for literature on muscle parameters like maximal force, or physiological cross sectional area and maximal muscle stress (multiply the later two to get maximal force).

Wow that's a lot more complicated then. One has to determine the force of each single muscle involved in the movement.

Regarding that, I would be glad if you could give me at least some estimatations. When we take for instance 1000N as number, would that be probable? I have not the imagination how strong 1000N is, like you probably have.

freexd said:
I would be glad if you could give me at least some estimatations.
Of what? You still haven't said which forces you are interested in.

Because I don't know how to describe it. The muscels cause the whole body to move. The body weighs a certain weight. To move the body the muscels have to create a certain amount force.

freexd said:
Because I don't know how to describe it. The muscels cause the whole body to move. The body weighs a certain weight. To move the body the muscels have to create a certain amount force.

The whole body does not move in a single direction with a single acceleration. Instead you have a multitude of little forces acting in various directions. There is no one right way to summarize all of that information into a single number that says "there was this much total force".

Ah ok, guess that means my question can't be answered and an estimation is also not possible?

freexd said:
Ah ok, guess that means my question can't be answered
Hard to say, without knowing the actual question.

Seems like jbriggs understood my question.

I understand that you are after a single number that reflects the strength of the jerk. What is less clear is exactly how that number would be defined, how it would be measured or how it would be useful.

It sounds very much like the kind of number that a show like "Sports Science" would use. Such shows specialize in coming up with single, precise and surprisingly large numbers that incompletely characterize complex actions.

1. What causes a myoclonic jerk?

Myoclonic jerks are caused by sudden and involuntary muscle contractions. These contractions can be triggered by a variety of factors, such as fatigue, stress, caffeine, or medication side effects. They can also occur during the transition between wakefulness and sleep, known as hypnic jerks.

2. Are myoclonic jerks harmful?

In most cases, myoclonic jerks are not harmful and do not require medical treatment. However, if the jerks are frequent, severe, or interfere with daily activities, it is important to consult a doctor to rule out any underlying medical conditions.

3. Can myoclonic jerks be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent myoclonic jerks, there are some steps that may help reduce their frequency or severity. These include getting enough sleep, managing stress levels, avoiding triggers such as caffeine or medications, and practicing relaxation techniques.

4. Are myoclonic jerks a sign of a neurological disorder?

In some cases, myoclonic jerks can be a symptom of a neurological disorder, such as epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, or Parkinson's disease. However, they can also occur in otherwise healthy individuals and are not always a cause for concern. If you experience frequent or severe myoclonic jerks, it is important to consult a doctor for proper evaluation and diagnosis.

5. How are myoclonic jerks treated?

If myoclonic jerks are caused by an underlying medical condition, treatment will focus on addressing that condition. In cases where no underlying cause is found, treatment may involve medications such as anti-seizure drugs or muscle relaxants to help control the jerks. In some cases, lifestyle changes such as getting enough sleep and reducing stress may also be helpful in managing myoclonic jerks.