Real world applications of Jerk and Cons. Acceleration?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
whitejac
Messages
169
Reaction score
0
I did some light searching for Jerk and didn't find much, maybe I can be directed there if my question has been asked.

I was tasked to find some real world differences between the two in my Dynamics class. It's not really homework, so I didn't post it there. I'm looking for a discussion from those more enlightened than I.

I know some of the basic ones when we'd want to know the jerk of a body (public transit being the most common example I've found). I was wondering if anyone knew more colorful examples I could give to my class. I'd like something mechanical, preferably, as that's the majority of the majors and maybe something more specific than a large body. The Wikipedia page for Jerk gave the example of a Geneva Drive. I thought that was a good example worth researching. I'd like to maybe also be able to diagram some of the smaller things going on in a very nontechnical way.
It just seems like there is a lot of talk of constant acceleration but not of nonconstant acceleration. The fact it's called Jerk essentially ruined my youtube searches too.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Put 'acceleration jerk joust' into a search engine .

Jerk can be an important consideration in design of cams and railway bogie suspensions .