Force of Friction in rolling motion without knowing r

In summary, the hollow spherical shell with mass 1.50 kg has an acceleration of 3.70 m/s^2 for the center of mass and the magnitude of the frictional force can be found by setting up the corresponding Newtonian equations for the translational and rotational motions of the shell, using the fact that there is no slipping, and solving for the angular acceleration in terms of the frictional force.
snoworskate

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical shell with mass 1.50 kg rolls without slipping down a slope that makes an angle of 39.0^\circ with the horizontal.

a) Find the magnitude of the acceleration a_cm of the center of mass of the spherical shell.
b) Find the magnitude of the frictional force acting on the spherical shell.

Homework Equations

a(center of mass) = gsin(theta)/(1 +c) where c is a constant for I, here it is 2/3

Torque net = I(alpha) where alpha is angular acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the first equation in a to get the acceleration as 3.70 m/s^2. I really don't know how to do b without knowing R. I know (or think I know) that at the point of contact the frictional force must equal the torque so that the point doesn't actually move. The hint in the problem says,

"set up the corresponding Newtonian equations for the translational and rotational motions of the shell. Since there is no slipping, use both equations together to calculate the acceleration by solving the angular motion equation for the translational acceleration in terms of the frictional force, and then substituting into the translational motion equation."

I don't understand the hint. Solving for net force the force of Friction f should equal torque which equals I(alpha). Then alpha = f/I. I just don't know where to go with that. Specifically, how do I solve the "angular motion equation for the translational acceleration in terms of the frictional force"?

Thanks so much in advance! I appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
When a body is rolling (its contact point with the ground is in rest) the acceleration of the CM is equal to the angular acceleration times the radius,
[itex]a=\alpha R[/itex]

The friction is force, not torque. What is the torque of the frictional force?

Write out the equation for torque , and substitute alpha by a/R. ehild

Perfect, thank you so much! I somehow missed that equation

1. What is force of friction in rolling motion?

The force of friction in rolling motion is the resistance force that acts on an object as it rolls over a surface. It is caused by the interaction between the object's surface and the surface it is rolling over.

2. How is the force of friction in rolling motion different from static friction?

The force of friction in rolling motion is different from static friction in that it acts in the direction opposite to the motion of the object, while static friction acts in the direction that prevents an object from moving.

3. How does the amount of friction in rolling motion affect the speed of the object?

The force of friction in rolling motion can slow down an object's speed by converting its kinetic energy into heat. This is why rolling objects eventually come to a stop, unlike objects in motion on a frictionless surface.

4. How does the surface of an object affect the amount of friction in rolling motion?

The surface of an object can affect the amount of friction in rolling motion. Rough surfaces create more friction, while smooth surfaces create less friction. This is why objects with wheels or ball bearings can roll more easily on smooth surfaces.

5. How can the force of friction in rolling motion be reduced?

The force of friction in rolling motion can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, on the surface the object is rolling over. This creates a layer between the two surfaces, reducing the friction and allowing the object to roll more smoothly.