1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of friction on different times

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 3.280 kg block of wood rests on a steel desk. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the desk is μs = 0.605 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk = 0.155. At time t = 0, a force F = 12.0 N is applied horizontally to the block. State the force of friction applied to the block by the table at t=0 and t>0:

Consider the same situation, but this time the external force F is 24.1 N. Again state the force of friction acting on the block at t=0 and t>0:

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    F ≤ μsN
    F = μkN
    w=mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to find the normal force with mg so I could then multiply this with μs and μk. I thought that the first one would be when time equals 0 but I don't really understand how to use the F = 12(first question) or F = 24.1(second question).
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
    well so what is the static frictional force acting on the block?

What happens to the block if the force that is applied to it is *less than* the static frictional force? What about if the force applied to it is *greater than* the static frictional force?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook