1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of Gravity on the tip of a giant snowcone

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm studying for a physics exam and made up the following problem to practice. Since I made it up there is no way to check my answer and I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Find the force of gravity exerted on a point mass m at the tip of a snowcone (portion of a ball cut out by a cone where the radius of the sphere = the length of the side of the cone) with constant density ϱ and radius R. The internal angle of the cone is pi/4 in both directions.
    snowcone.png

2. Relevant equations
    F = -GmM(r)/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used spherical coordinates
    M(r)=ϱV(r)

M(r)=[tex]\frac{-\rho}{3}r^{3}\theta\cos\phi[/tex]

[tex]dM(r)=r^{2}\sin\phi dr d\phi d\theta[/tex]

[tex]F=\int_0^{\pi/4}\int_0^{\pi/4}\int_0^R \frac{-Gm\rho r^{2}}{r^{2}} \sin\phi dr d\phi d\theta[/tex]

[tex]F=-\frac{\pi}{4} Gm\rho\int_0^{\pi/4} \sin\phi d\phi \int_0^R dr [/tex]

[tex]F=-\frac{\pi}{4} Gm\rho R(\cos0-\cos\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]

[tex]F=-\frac{\pi}{8} (2-\sqrt{2})Gm\rho R[/tex]

Also, I can't think of any way to find F(d) where d is the distance from the point of the cone. It might just be wishful thinking though.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I might consider solving by superposition.

The sum of the conical solid and the spherical one.

For the cone you can sum the individual disks of dm = ϱ*a(x)dx and then add the spherical section calculated from the distance of the cone height.

I guess I don't see the need to use the spherical coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook