Force on 60kg Parachutist Falling w/ 7kg Parachute

  • Thread starter Thread starter KiNGGeexD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Falling
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
KiNGGeexD
Messages
317
Reaction score
1
A 60kg parachutist and her 7kg parachute fall at a constant 6m/s

Find the force on the woman due to chute?

My attempt:

All I can gather from this is that the chute and her are not accelerating, so get are at terminal velocity?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
She reached the terminal velocity (that's the reason the velocity is constant), right.

Hint:
Which forces act on her?

What does it mean that she is not accelerating?
 
Because she ain't accelerating the force of her downwards is equal to the force upwards because of the parachute right?
 
KiNGGeexD said:
Because she ain't accelerating the force of her downwards is equal to the force upwards because of the parachute right?
Right.
Is mg still acting on her?
As long as she is still on earth... sure.
 
Ok so I've got mg acting downwards and mg for the parachute? And total mg am I on the right track?
 
KiNGGeexD said:
Ok so I've got mg acting downwards and mg for the parachute? And total mg am I on the right track?

Ask these questions for yourself:
1-What is the downward force?
2-If downward force is equal to upward force,what is the upward force?
(If downward force is equal to upward force,then the net(total) force is zero(Because of forces cancelling out)
 
KiNGGeexD said:
Mg-mg=0

Where m is the mass of the parachute?
Er.. no.
Just concentrate of the forces on the person. The 'chute is just something up there somewhere applying a force, you don't care what it is, so its mass is irrelevant.