Weight, net force, and acceleration

In summary, we are given the mass of a parachutist and the total upward force exerted on her and her parachute by air resistance. Using Newton's second law, we can calculate the weight of the parachutist, the net force acting on her, and her acceleration.
Tastosis

Homework Statement

A parachutist relies on air resistance (mainly on her parachute) to decrease her downward velocity. She and her parachute have a mass of 55.0 kg and air resistance exerts a total upward force of 620 N on her and her parachute.
A.) What is the weight of the parachutist? B.) What is the net force? Is it upward or downward? C.) What is the acceleration (magnitude and direction) of the parachutist?

Homework Equations

Can someone tell me what's the free body diagram?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told in my previous thread that I needed to add the forces and then use F = ma
Someone give me tips on how to go about questions A, B, and C please >.< Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tastosis said:

Homework Statement

A parachutist relies on air resistance (mainly on her parachute) to decrease her downward velocity. She and her parachute have a mass of 55.0 kg and air resistance exerts a total upward force of 620 N on her and her parachute.
A.) What is the weight of the parachutist? B.) What is the net force? Is it upward or downward? C.) What is the acceleration (magnitude and direction) of the parachutist?

Homework Equations

Can someone tell me what's the free body diagram?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told in my previous thread that I needed to add the forces and then use F = ma
Someone give me tips on how to go about questions A, B, and C please >.< Thanks!

A) It seems sensible that this part is calculating the force due to gravity, B) and C) is doing exactly what you said under the attempt at a solution, which is Newtons second law which states,

the sum (or net) force acting on an object is equal to the product of mass and acceleration, in math terms: Fnet = m*a

What is weight?

Weight is the measure of the force exerted on an object due to gravity. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all individual forces that are acting on it. It is calculated by subtracting all opposing forces from one another.

How does weight affect net force?

Weight is one factor that contributes to net force. If the weight of an object increases, the net force acting on it will also increase. This is because weight is a force and it is included in the calculation of net force.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is usually measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s^2).

How are weight, net force, and acceleration related?

Weight is directly proportional to net force and acceleration. This means that if the weight of an object increases, both the net force and acceleration will also increase. Similarly, if the weight decreases, the net force and acceleration will decrease as well.