Force on a circular loop due to hypothetical magnetic field.

In summary, the magnetic force on a loop of current is proportional to the current and the magnitude of the magnetic field.
Hijaz Aslam

Homework Statement

A hypothetical magnetic field existing in a region is given by ##\vec{B}=B_o\vec{e}_r##, where ##\vec{e}_r## denotes the unit vector along the radial direction. A circular loop of radius a, carrying a current ##i##, is placed with its plane parallel to the X-Y plane and the centre at ##(0,0,d)##. Find the magnitude of the magnetic force acting on the loop.

Homework Equations

Force on a conductor due to a magnetic field : ##\vec{F}_{magnetic}= i\vec{l}##x##\vec{B}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

A (so far) reliable solution manual (created independent to the referred textbook) plainly explains that as ##\vec{F}_{magnetic}= i\vec{l}##x##\vec{B}## => ##\vec{F}_{magnetic}= i2\pi aB_o(\frac{a}{\sqrt[]{a^2+d^2}})##

Though the final answer is correct, isn't it coincidental and isn't the solution theoretically wrong?

When I've done the problem I think the magnetic field and the length vector are always perpendicular to each other as long as the center of the circular loop is along the z-axis (in the above case) and the magnetic field is radial. So when I resolve the forces I find that component vectors of all the forces acting on the loop cancels out (i.e ##Fcos\theta## around the loop cancels out) whereas the component ## Fsin\theta## adds up and hence the final answer gives : ##\vec{F}_{magnetic}= i2\pi aB_o(\frac{a}{\sqrt[]{a^2+d^2}})##

Am I right? Or am I making a terrible theoretical mistake? Or is the solution manual making a mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't understand what x and y are. If you mean a and d then I can agree.

Don't see a difference between your answer and that from the solutions manual... As far as I can reconstruct, you agree and are right. Both.

BvU said:
Don't understand what x and y are. If you mean a and d then I can agree.

Oops! That's supposed to be 'a' and 'd'. Sorry!

BvU said:
Don't see a difference between your answer and that from the solutions manual... As far as I can reconstruct, you agree and are right. Both.

No! Though the final answers are the same. My theory does not agree with the one given in the solution manual.
The solution manual argues that the force ##|\vec{F}_{magnetic}|= i|\vec{l}||\vec{B}|sin\theta##. This equation says that the angle between the magnetic field and the 'length vector' (which is always in the direction of the current) is ##\theta##.

But my argument as I have said above is : "I think the magnetic field and the length vector are always perpendicular to each other as long as the center of the circular loop is along the z-axis (in the above case) and the magnetic field is radial. So when I resolve the forces I find that component vectors of all the forces acting on the loop cancels out (i.e ##Fcos\theta## around the loop cancels out) whereas the component ## Fsin\theta## adds up and hence the final answer gives : ##\vec{F}_{magnetic}= i2\pi aB_o(\frac{a}{\sqrt[]{a^2+d^2}})##" //repeated

Well comparing equation by equation both are completely similar. But the theoretical side differs.

Last edited:
I guess the solution manual considers the radial component (in the XY plane) of the B-field only. If it does not add an additional explanation, it is a bit too short for a proper solution.

Likes Hijaz Aslam
Here's the solution given by the solution manual. The diagrams are unreliable.
Selection_006.png

I see, and I think the solution manual is indeed a bit slopply with the diagrams and it also carries out the integration dl = a dφ to yield 2πa without mentioning that, thus adding to the confusion.

In short: you are right and you have a good understanding of this exercise. on to the next one :)

Likes Hijaz Aslam
BvU- Thanks a lot.

You're welcome.
thanks to mfb too !

Thanks mfb! :D

What is the equation for calculating the force on a circular loop due to a hypothetical magnetic field?

The equation for calculating the force on a circular loop due to a hypothetical magnetic field is F = I * B * A, where F is the force, I is the current in the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and A is the area of the loop.

How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the force on a circular loop?

The direction of the magnetic field affects the force on a circular loop by determining the direction of the force. The force will be perpendicular to both the current in the loop and the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the relationship between the radius of the loop and the force acting on it in a hypothetical magnetic field?

The relationship between the radius of the loop and the force acting on it in a hypothetical magnetic field is directly proportional. This means that as the radius increases, the force on the loop also increases.

Can the force on a circular loop be zero in a hypothetical magnetic field?

Yes, the force on a circular loop can be zero in a hypothetical magnetic field if the current in the loop is zero or if the loop is parallel to the magnetic field lines.

How can the force on a circular loop be increased in a hypothetical magnetic field?

The force on a circular loop can be increased in a hypothetical magnetic field by increasing the current in the loop, increasing the magnetic field strength, or increasing the area of the loop.