Force on a hinge when a rod is being released

In summary, the rod is released from a horizontal position and exerts a force on the hinge just after being released.
randomgamernerd

Homework Statement

: A uniform rod of weight W is free to rotate about a hinge at one end. The hinge is fixed to a wall. If the rod is released from a horizontal position, what force will it exert on the hinge just after being released?
a)W
b)W/2
c)W/3
d)W/4
choose the correct option[/B]2.The attempt at a solution: Since the rod is just released, the only force that it will exert at the hinge is its own weight which is W. So I think the answer should be W. But I'm unable to use the fact that the hinge is fixed to a wall and I think that's the reason I'm getting my answer wrong.

Please clarify my concept.
Thanks for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
randomgamernerd said:
Since the rod is just released, the only force that it will exert at the hinge is its own weight which is W.
You're jumping to a conclusion here that is not justified.
Draw a free body diagram and apply the appropriate dynamical laws.

The only forces I could identify was the weight of the rod, the reaction force from the hinge on the rod and the reaction force from the wall on the hinge...and then?I can't figure out how to proceed...I would be grateful if you could give me a bit more hint...and then I could proceed well...I'm not requesting for a solution but just a bit more hint.

Can you either post a figure showing your free body diagram for the rod or describe the free body diagram in words?

What equations can you set up using your free body diagram?

randomgamernerd said:
the reaction force from the wall on the hinge.
That is not useful. In the free body diagram for a rigid body, only include the forces which act directly on it. How the wall and hinge interact is their own affair.

randomgamernerd said:
The only forces I could identify was the weight of the rod, the reaction force from the hinge on the rod and the reaction force from the wall on the hinge...and then?I can't figure out how to proceed...I would be grateful if you could give me a bit more hint...and then I could proceed well...I'm not requesting for a solution but just a bit more hint.

Ok, one hint. The rod isn't static.

Cutter Ketch said:
Ok, one hint. The rod isn't static.

okay...you mean a centrpetal force is acting...right?

This means N= W-F

where
N=reaction from hinge
W= weight of rod
F= Centripetal force

randomgamernerd said:
No. Centripetal force requires some speed. At the moment of release, there is acceleration but no speed yet.
Just write out the usual equations relating force to acceleration and/or torque to rotational acceleration. (Which looks to be the more useful here?)

randomgamernerd said:

No, I mean the forces and torques don't add up to zero. What do they add up to?

okay...I'm so sorry everyone...I missed out the word "horizontal"...From the very beginning I thought that the rod was released from a vertical position...Thats the reason I was so hell confused...Anyways...thanks for the hints...and making me reread the question(this time carefully)...I would be able to work it out now...
Sorry for the inconvenience and THANKS for the help...

randomgamernerd said:
okay...I'm so sorry everyone...I missed out the word "horizontal"...From the very beginning I thought that the rod was released from a vertical position...Thats the reason I was so hell confused...Anyways...thanks for the hints...and making me reread the question(this time carefully)...I would be able to work it out now...
Sorry for the inconvenience and THANKS for the help...
Welcome to physics forums...did you get an answer

Likes SammyS

1. What is the definition of a hinge?

A hinge is a type of mechanical joint that allows a rigid object, such as a door or rod, to rotate around a fixed point or axis.

2. How is force on a hinge calculated?

The force on a hinge is calculated using the equation F = r x m x a, where F is the force, r is the distance from the hinge to the center of mass, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

3. What factors affect the force on a hinge when a rod is being released?

The force on a hinge when a rod is being released can be affected by the mass and length of the rod, the speed at which it is released, and the angle at which it is released.

4. How does the direction of the force on a hinge change when a rod is being released?

The direction of the force on a hinge when a rod is being released depends on the direction in which the rod is released. If the rod is released vertically, the force on the hinge will be in a downward direction. If the rod is released at an angle, the force on the hinge will be in a direction parallel to the angle of release.

5. Why is it important to consider the force on a hinge when releasing a rod?

Considering the force on a hinge when releasing a rod is important because it can affect the stability and balance of the object. If the force on the hinge is too great, it can cause the object to tip or fall, potentially causing damage or injury.