An equilibrium problem -- Spinning a hinged rod and a ball

In summary: For the upper ball balancing torque about attachment point with roofTension due to lower ball=mg (1+sin^2a)I wanted to balance torque for this but it does not get to any end. How can we do it...I think the potential energy hint would be using the rotating frame of reference, giving you a centripetal force. I used that frame, but just looked at forces.Please post your equations as far as you get.
Brilli

Homework Statement

This is a practice olympiad problem
A light rod with length l is
hinged in such a way that the hinge folds
in one plane only. The hinge is spun with
angular speed ω around a vertical axis. A
small ball is fixed to the other end of the
rod. (a) Find the angular speeds for which
the vertical orientation is stable. (b) The
ball is now attached to another hinge and,
in turn, to another identical rod; the upper
hinge is spun in the same way. What is
now the condition of stability for the ver-
tical orientation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

balancing torques of lower ball, got
w=g (sina)/(sina+sinb) a and b are deviations from verical of upper and lower ball respectively. Then for the upper ball equating torques of thread tension of lower thread and mass and centridugal force. But i am stuck here. The solution says to derive expression for potential energy and get for what w is it minimum because forequilibrium the potential energy isminimum. How to derive this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I understood the arrangement until part b. It says the ball is "attached to another hinge". I thought the ball was attached to the rod, and the rod attached to a hinge.

If it means the ball is attached to another rod and in turn to another hinge that makes a bit more sense, but now I am unclear on the relationship between the two rods and hinges. Are the rods the same length? Are they both above the ball? Do the hinges flex in the same plane?
If the answer is yes to all those then I do not see how it matters whether there is one rod or two.

Is there a diagram?

Just to muddy the water a bit, is this really an equilibrium problem? Sounds like parts of the system are in accelerated motion, and by definition, that would seem to exclude equilibrium. Would it be better to use the term "Steady State" as opposed to "Equilibrium"? I'm curious as to what others think about this question.

Yes
haruspex said:
I think I understood the arrangement until part b. It says the ball is "attached to another hinge". I thought the ball was attached to the rod, and the rod attached to a hinge.

If it means the ball is attached to another rod and in turn to another hinge that makes a bit more sense, but now I am unclear on the relationship between the two rods and hinges. Are the rods the same length? Are they both above the ball? Do the hinges flex in the same plane?
If the answer is yes to all those then I do not see how it matters whether there is one rod or two.

Is there a diagram?
Yes.
osTiYgIOoN-kvB1NviRInAywtlCaEJ57LeKpuGqzCXZf7wK5mJfpdFmBeX8XRa3cNGCi9jiiP_KDEpeDARI=w206-h248-nc.gif

Thank you for responding
The mass m1 and m2 are same. And l1 and l2 are also same.

Attachments

• osTiYgIOoN-kvB1NviRInAywtlCaEJ57LeKpuGqzCXZf7wK5mJfpdFmBeX8XRa3cNGCi9jiiP_KDEpeDARI=w206-h248-nc.gif
    osTiYgIOoN-kvB1NviRInAywtlCaEJ57LeKpuGqzCXZf7wK5mJfpdFmBeX8XRa3cNGCi9jiiP_KDEpeDARI=w206-h248-nc.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 828
Dr.D said:
Just to muddy the water a bit, is this really an equilibrium problem? Sounds like parts of the system are in accelerated motion, and by definition, that would seem to exclude equilibrium. Would it be better to use the term "Steady State" as opposed to "Equilibrium"? I'm curious as to what others think about this question.
It was from a mechanics booklet. I think it as an equilibrium problem. If you have got another approach you are welcome to guide me through it.

Brilli said:
Yes

Yes.View attachment 221797
Thank you for responding
The mass m1 and m2 are same. And l1 and l2 are also same.
Ok, that's clear. The text did not mention the second ball.
You seem to be asking about part b. Did you solve part a?
I think I have solved both parts, but not using potential energy.

haruspex said:
Ok, that's clear. The text did not mention the second ball.
You seem to be asking about part b. Did you solve part a?
I think I have solved both parts, but not using potential energy.
Yes i have solved part a. I am stuck at part b.

Brilli said:
Yes i have solved part a. I am stuck at part b.
I think the potential energy hint would be using the rotating frame of reference, giving you a centripetal force. I used that frame, but just looked at forces.
Please post your equations as far as you get.

haruspex said:
I think the potential energy hint would be using the rotating frame of reference, giving you a centripetal force. I used that frame, but just looked at forces.
Please post your equations as far as you get.
For the lower ball balancing torque about point of attachment to upper ball
mw^2rcos (a)<=mgsin (a)
Thus as r=lsin (a)+lsin (b)
w^2 <=gsina/(lsina+lsinb)

For the upper ball balancing torque about attachment point with roof
Tension due to lower ball=mg (1+sin^2a)
I wanted to balance torque for this but it does not get to any end. How can we do it properly?

Brilli said:
For the lower ball balancing torque about point of attachment to upper ball
mw^2rcos (a)<=mgsin (a)
I assume your a and b are the θ1 and θ2 of the diagram.
How far is the lower ball from the axis of rotation?

haruspex said:
I assume your a and b are the θ1 and θ2 of the diagram.
How far is the lower ball from the axis of rotation?
l sinθ1+lsinθ2

Brilli said:
l sinθ1+lsinθ2
Right, so what is the centrifugal force?
By the way, we are only concerned with infinitesimal perturbations, so you can use x instead of sin(x) and 1 instead of cos(x) nearly everywhere. There can be exceptions, but I'll point it out if you fall into one.

haruspex said:
Right, so what is the centrifugal force?
By the way, we are only concerned with infinitesimal perturbations, so you can use x instead of sin(x) and 1 instead of cos(x) nearly everywhere. There can be exceptions, but I'll point it out if you fall into one.
Centrifugal force=mω^2l (sina + sinb)

Brilli said:
Centrifugal force=mω^2l (sina + sinb)
I'm sorry, I did not read your post #9 correctly.. you already have this part.
Next, what is the tension in the lower rod?

Tension in lower rod=mg(sin^2a)+mgcosa≈mg (sin^2a)+mg=mg (sin^2+1)

Please send the solution as i am not able to access pf everytime because of tecnical issues

Also torque balance for upper ball
2lsina+tsin (b-a)=mgsina

I am stuck here

Brilli said:
w^2 <=gsina/(lsina+lsinb)
Brilli said:
Tension in lower rod=mg(sin^2a)+mgcosa≈mg (sin^2a)+mg=mg (sin^2+1)
Brilli said:
Also torque balance for upper ball
2lsina+tsin (b-a)=mgsina
All your equations are good, but as I posted you can make small angle approximations.
The above reduce to:
##\frac {l\omega^2}g=\frac a{a+b}##
##T=mg##
##m\omega^2la+T(b-a)=mga##
You can solve for ω.

Edit: missed a factor a on the left in the third equation. Corrected.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
All your equations are good, but as I posted you can make small angle approximations.
The above reduce to:
##\frac {l\omega^2}g=\frac a{a+b}##
##T=mg##
##m\omega^2l+T(b-a)=mga##
You can solve for ω.
But the answer is not matching. Fiven answer is 2-√2

Brilli said:
But the answer is not matching. Fiven answer is 2-√2
Typo: I missed a factor a on the left in the third equation. Does that help?

haruspex said:
Typo: I missed a factor a on the left in the third equation. Does that help?
No sir. This does not yield the answer. I did it this way too but did not get it. The final given answer is (2-√2) (g/l)>ω^2

Brilli said:
No sir. This does not yield the answer. I did it this way too but did not get it. The final given answer is (2-√2) (g/l)>ω^2
Ok, found it. The right hand side here is using the wrong angle:
Brilli said:
mw^2rcos (a)<=mgsin (a)

Yes. I get it. Thank you

1. What is an equilibrium problem?

An equilibrium problem is a physics problem in which the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a state of rest or constant motion. In this case, the hinged rod and ball are in equilibrium when the forces acting on them are equal and opposite, keeping them in a stable position.

2. How does spinning a hinged rod and a ball affect equilibrium?

Spinning the hinged rod and ball creates a centripetal force, which is a force that pulls an object towards the center of its circular path. This force must be balanced by another force, such as the tension in the hinge or the weight of the ball, in order for the objects to remain in equilibrium.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium of the hinged rod and ball?

The equilibrium of the hinged rod and ball is affected by several factors, including the weight and mass of the objects, the length and angle of the rod, and the speed at which the rod and ball are spinning. Any changes to these factors can alter the forces acting on the objects and disrupt their equilibrium.

4. How can the equilibrium of the hinged rod and ball be calculated?

The equilibrium of the hinged rod and ball can be calculated using the principles of rotational dynamics and Newton's laws of motion. This involves analyzing the forces acting on the objects and determining their relative magnitudes and directions. A mathematical equation can then be used to solve for the unknown variables and determine the state of equilibrium.

5. What real-life applications does this equilibrium problem have?

This equilibrium problem has many real-life applications, such as in balancing objects on a seesaw or on a scale, calculating the stability of structures like bridges and skyscrapers, and understanding the motion of objects in circular motion, such as a Ferris wheel or a merry-go-round. It is also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and construction, where understanding and maintaining equilibrium is crucial for safety and efficiency.