Rotational Torque/Force Problem (rod around hinge)

In summary, a rod of mass "M" is attached to a two-way hinge on the floor and is being pulled by a spring. The hinge is frictionless and the rod has a mass of 5kg evenly distributed. The pulling tension of the spring is 25N and the angle between the rod and floor is 25 degrees. The system is in equilibrium and the question is how to calculate the resulting vertical force of the rod against the ceiling. The approach to solving this involves using angular torque, taking moments about a point where the forces can be ignored (such as the bottom, hinge end), and considering the direction of the force from the ceiling (which is acting at a right angle to the rod).
gapp123

Homework Statement

A Rod of Mass "M" is attached to a two-way hinge on the floor. It is being pulled by a spring (extension spring, so force is pulling the rod to the right, causing it to move clockwise).

The hinge is frictionless.
the rod has a mass of 5kg evenly distributed
the pulling tension of the spring is 25N
The angle between the rod and floor is 25 degrees
D2 is 0.3 meters
d1 is .15 meters

How do I calculate the resulting vertical force of the rod against the ceiling? The system is in equilibrium.

I am a bit rusty with angular torque. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/B]
Free Body Diagram.JPG
Rod, Spring and Hinge.JPG

2. Homework Equations :
F=MA
Torque=NM
Hoooke's Law (I have already applied this..no need to incorporate/explain it further).
CG=(W1d1+W2d2+W3d3...)/W

3. Work Towards Problem:
I realize that since the system is in static equilibrium, the opposing forces will cancel each other out,, those forces being the tension of the spring (already solved) and the force of the rod against the ceiling. I think the answer lies in angular torque, something I am a bit rusty at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need more information than you've shown, in order to solve this.

But for a start, the force from the ceiling can be considered in two parts, one perpendicular to the rod and one parallel to the rod: the total force is the resultant of these two components. The point of doing this is, that the torque on the rod is not affected by the force parallel to it, only by the perpendicular component.

To remind you, the torque due to a force is equal to the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force, multiplied by the magnitude of the force (though you need to take .clockwise and anticlockwise into account.)

Likes gapp123
Merlin3189 said:
I think you need more information than you've shown, in order to solve this.

But for a start, the force from the ceiling can be considered in two parts, one perpendicular to the rod and one parallel to the rod: the total force is the resultant of these two components. The point of doing this is, that the torque on the rod is not affected by the force parallel to it, only by the perpendicular component.

To remind you, the torque due to a force is equal to the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force, multiplied by the magnitude of the force (though you need to take .clockwise and anticlockwise into account.)

My understanding is that the force the rod applies against the wall will be angled upwards, so trigonometry should be able to be able to dissect that force into horizontal and vertical components. I know the angle (25 degrees) of the rod against the ceiling (the angle on the right side of the rod) will be the same as the angle of the rod against the floor (angle on the left side of the rod), assuming a hinge of negligible height.

Given the information of the problem, the distance between the floor and the ceiling is 0.1902 meters.

I am struggling with the fact the pulling motion of the spring is towards the middle of the rod, not at the end. I know I need to continue with torque calculations, but this is where I am stuck.

The technique with torque is to take moments about a point where you want to ignore the forces: in this case the bottom, hinge end. Provided there is no torque provide by the hinge, you can ignore pushes or pulls on the rod at that end. The only torques will be, the force of the spring on the rod and the force of the ceiling on the rod. When the rod is in equilibrium, those torques are equal and opposite.

You started with a diagram (which puts you a big step ahead of many questioners here!) Perhaps you could make another showing the forces on the rod?

Likes gapp123
Merlin3189 said:
The technique with torque is to take moments about a point where you want to ignore the forces: in this case the bottom, hinge end. Provided there is no torque provide by the hinge, you can ignore pushes or pulls on the rod at that end. The only torques will be, the force of the spring on the rod and the force of the ceiling on the rod. When the rod is in equilibrium, those torques are equal and opposite.

You started with a diagram (which puts you a big step ahead of many questioners here!) Perhaps you could make another showing the forces on the rod?

Below is a diagram showing the forces of the Rod...the horizontal and vertical forces of the ceiling, and the pull of the spring
Forces on Rod.JPG

I suppose I would start by stating the sum of the torques are equal to zero (with d1, d2, etc. referring to the reference point of the hinge) but I am dealing with a combination of horizontal and vertical forces...Not sure how to proceed from there.

gapp123 said:
So the force from the ceiling is acting at a right angle to the rod, is that correct?
The ceiling is a flat surface. It is contacted by a corner of the rod. In the diagram at the link I posted, which object is flat and which contacts it at a corner? Where is the contact plane?

haruspex said:
The ceiling is a flat surface. It is contacted by a corner of the rod. In the diagram at the link I posted, which object is flat and which contacts it at a corner? Where is the contact plane?

The diagram from the link shows that the rod is the flat plane and the corner of the block is the angle. In the case of my problem, it is the other way around. Thus, I assume the force exerted by the ceiling would be downward, perpendicular to the ceiling?

haruspex said:

Effectively, the ceiling is the contact plane.

gapp123 said:
The diagram from the link shows that the rod is the flat plane and the corner of the block is the angle. In the case of my problem, it is the other way around. Thus, I assume the force exerted by the ceiling would be downward, perpendicular to the ceiling?
Right.

Ok, I think I understand now:

the sum of the torques =0= (Fspring*Vertical Distance from Hinge)-(Normal Force of Ceiling*Horizontal Distance from Hinge)-(Weight of Rod *Horizontal Distance from Hinge).

Is that right?

haruspex said:
The first thing you need to settle is the direction of the force from the ceiling. See the first section of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-friction/
I'm not sure how this helps. Unless I'm missing something, this reference addresses only the Normal force. It does not address the total force. OP has already correctly marked the normal force on his diagram, along with the frictional force. His problem is knowing the ratio of these two components, in order to determine the angle of the net force from the ceiling on the rod.
My advice to him has been to assume the ceiling is smooth, so that the horizontal component of force is zero.

gapp123 said:
Ok, I think I understand now:

the sum of the torques =0= (Fspring*Vertical Distance from Hinge)-(Normal Force of Ceiling*Horizontal Distance from Hinge)-(Weight of Rod *Horizontal Distance from Hinge).

Is that right?
Yes.

Merlin3189 said:
I'm not sure how this helps. Unless I'm missing something, this reference addresses only the Normal force. It does not address the total force. OP has already correctly marked the normal force on his diagram, along with the frictional force. His problem is knowing the ratio of these two components, in order to determine the angle of the net force from the ceiling on the rod.
My advice to him has been to assume the ceiling is smooth, so that the horizontal component of force is zero.
Both matter. Some do get confused about the direction of the normal force (i.e., that force which opposes interpenetration) when one object presents a corner. Indeed, with two corners in contact it is indeterminate.

Separately from that, there is the question of friction. As you noted, we have to assume there is none. In the real world, there could be a frictional component. It depends how the physical arrangement was created.
I discuss that a bit in section 3.5 at the same link.

1) What is rotational torque?

Rotational torque, also known as moment of force, is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2) How does rotational torque differ from linear force?

Rotational torque and linear force are both measures of force, but they act on objects in different ways. Linear force causes an object to move in a straight line, while rotational torque causes an object to rotate around an axis.

3) What is the formula for calculating rotational torque?

The formula for calculating rotational torque is T = r x F, where T is the torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and F is the force applied to the object.

4) How does the position of the force affect rotational torque?

The position of the force in relation to the axis of rotation affects the magnitude and direction of the rotational torque. If the force is applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation, it will have the maximum effect on the object's rotation. If the force is applied at an angle, the torque will be reduced.

5) What is the principle of moments and how does it relate to rotational torque?

The principle of moments states that for an object to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This means that the total torque acting on the object must be balanced. It is directly related to rotational torque as it helps to determine the equilibrium conditions of a rotating object.