1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on one mass from another mass

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the force acting on a 30kg cart by a 50kg cart if the 30kg cart is pushed into the 50kg cart with a force of 120N.
    m1=30kg
    m2=50kg
    Fa=120N

2. Relevant equations
    FNET=ma
    FNET=sigmaF

3. The attempt at a solution
    Im really confused on where to start here. I was thinking of finding acceleration then substituting in for an FNET equation to find F of 2on1. Any tips on where to start would be helpful thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is this the exact question, or have you paraphrased it?
    I'm guessing we are to take the carts as initially in contact already, we are to ignore friction, and the 120N is a force applied to the 50kg cart.
    If so, yes, consider acceleration. What will the acceleration be?

4. Jan 12, 2016 #3
    Yes i have paraphrased it because it was c) of a question. To find acceleration would I combine the masses of the carts since theyre in contact? If I did then it would be
    FNET=sigmaF
    FNET=120N
    FNET=ma
    a=m/FNET
    =80kg/120
    .666m/s/s.

5. Jan 12, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try that again.

6. Jan 12, 2016 #5
    Whoops...a would equal 1.5m/s/s.
    So now that I have acceleration. would I just multiply it by the mass of the 50kg cart?

7. Jan 12, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Maybe, but instead of just asking me, how about you try your own analysis? Pick one of the two carts and consider all the forces acting on it.

8. Jan 12, 2016 #7
    Yeah Ill try to look further into it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted