Determine Mass from Net Force, distance, and velocity

Just double check your calculations or show your work if you're still having trouble.In summary, the conversation discusses a dynamics cart being pulled by a net force of 1.2M [Forward], moving 6.6m and reaching a velocity of 3.2m/s [Forward]. The conversation also mentions using the formula V(final)^2 = V(initial)^2 + 2*a*d to calculate acceleration and F=ma to find mass, with a resulting value of 5kg. However, the textbook states that the correct answer is 1.5kg. The participants suggest double checking calculations or showing work to determine the discrepancy.
Kupopopo
First time in these forums so nice to meet everyone

Homework Statement

A dynamics cart is pulled from rest by a net force of 1.2M [Forward]. The cart moves 6.6m, reaching a velocity of 3.2m/s [Forward].

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the formula V(final)^2 = V(initial)^2 + 2*a*d to get acceleration and plug it into F=ma to find mass and got 5kg but the textbook says that the answer is 1.5kg

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume vi = 0 in your calculation so that vf^2 = 2 . a . d with d=6.6m

what did you get for a?

given a you should get what your book says.

Possibly you made an error in your calculations. As jedishrfu said, if you plug in all the known values in, you should get 1.5kg no problem.

1. What is the formula for determining mass from net force, distance, and velocity?

The formula for determining mass from net force, distance, and velocity is mass = net force / (acceleration * distance).

2. How do I calculate net force, distance, and velocity?

Net force can be calculated by multiplying mass and acceleration. Distance can be calculated by multiplying velocity and time. Velocity can be calculated by dividing distance by time.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of object?

Yes, this formula can be used for any object, as long as the net force, distance, and velocity are known.

4. What is the unit of measurement for mass in this formula?

The unit of measurement for mass in this formula is kilograms (kg).

5. What other factors can affect the accuracy of this formula?

The accuracy of this formula can also be affected by air resistance, friction, and other external forces acting on the object. Additionally, the accuracy may also vary depending on the precision of the measurements used for net force, distance, and velocity.