Force parallel to a smooth wall?

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether a smooth wall can exert a force parallel to it and not just perpendicular. It is suggested that the expression "smooth wall" typically means there is no friction, so the reaction force must be perpendicular. However, in the case of a hinge, there may be a parallel force despite the smoothness. The conversation also considers the reaction force from a pivot on a see-saw and its direction, and how varying the position of the see-saw can affect the magnitude of this force.
21joanna12
Hello!

My question is quite a quick one- I was wondering whether it is ever possible to have a smooth wall exerting a force parallel to it (and not just perpendicular to it). For example, if you were to place a see-saw by a smooth wall so that the wall is holding one of the see-saw ends below the level of the other, is this only due to the moment because of the perpendicular, reaction force from the wall or is there also a force parallel to the wall exerted by it (in the line that friction would act). I seem to remember seeing a question like this before, although I cannot remember whether the force perpendicular to the smooth wall was only in the case of an object being attached (for example by a hinge) to the wall, or if it also applies to objects 'propped up', but not attached to, the wall as in the see-saw case.

Also, when considering the see-saw and assuming that the pivot of the see saw is propped up on a knife edge to create the pivot, would the reaction force from this pivot act vertically upwards, or would it be perpendicular to the line of the see-saw?

I apologise if I haven't explained this very clearly...

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: I think I figured out my second question about whether the force from the pivot is vertical or perpendicular to the see-saw plank. I think It must be perpendicular, because otherwise there the weight of the see saw, and the reaction force (and potentially the force at the wall which is parallel to the wall, whether it is friction or another force) would all be acting vertically and there would be no force to cancel the horizontal normal contact force at the wall... I think...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
21joanna12 said:
Hello!

My question is quite a quick one- I was wondering whether it is ever possible to have a smooth wall exerting a force parallel to it (and not just perpendicular to it). For example, if you were to place a see-saw by a smooth wall so that the wall is holding one of the see-saw ends below the level of the other, is this only due to the moment because of the perpendicular, reaction force from the wall or is there also a force parallel to the wall exerted by it (in the line that friction would act).

The expression "smooth wall" usually means there is no friction - so the reaction force must be perpendicular.

CWatters said:
The expression "smooth wall" usually means there is no friction - so the reaction force must be perpendicular.

Thank you for your reply! But can there really be no other force? I'm pretty sure that dealing with hinges, there was a force parallel to the wall despite the fact that the hing was smooth. Could the same principle not apply?

21joanna12 said:
Thank you for your reply! But can there really be no other force? I'm pretty sure that dealing with hinges, there was a force parallel to the wall despite the fact that the hing was smooth. Could the same principle not apply?

A hinge can be frictionless in rotation but must provide friction in other directions (parallel and perpendicular to the wall) or the door would fall off.

Perhaps this diagram helps.
smooth wall.png

The triangular pivot is fixed in space. The purple reaction force need not be perpendicular to the seesaw. Nothing is accelerating so all forces and torques sum to zero.

The "red" force must be perpendicular to the smooth/frictionless wall. The magnitude of the red force depends on the geometry and can be calculated because the torques must sum to zero (The 10kg/100N blue force creates an anticlockwise torque that must be countered by the red force).

Perhaps consider what happens if you reposition the seesaw so that it is almost horizontal. The magnitude of the red force would have to be very large, as would the red component of the reaction force at the pivot. If the pivot was just a knife blade it's possible there wouldn't be enough friction at the pivot.

Likes 21joanna12
Thank you both!

What is a force parallel to a smooth wall?

A force parallel to a smooth wall is a type of force that acts in a direction parallel to the surface of a smooth wall. This means that the force is applied at an angle of 0 degrees or 180 degrees to the wall's surface.

What causes a force parallel to a smooth wall?

A force parallel to a smooth wall can be caused by a variety of factors, including gravity, friction, or external forces such as wind or water pressure. It can also be intentionally applied by a person or object.

How is a force parallel to a smooth wall different from a force perpendicular to a smooth wall?

A force parallel to a smooth wall acts in a direction that is tangent to the wall's surface, while a force perpendicular to a smooth wall acts in a direction that is normal to the wall's surface. This means that the two forces have different angles of application and will produce different effects on the wall.

What are some real-life examples of forces parallel to a smooth wall?

Some real-life examples of forces parallel to a smooth wall include a person leaning against a wall, a car driving alongside a building, or a bookshelf placed against a wall. These forces are all acting parallel to the surface of the wall.

How can forces parallel to a smooth wall be calculated?

Forces parallel to a smooth wall can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the parallel force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force acting on the object. This formula takes into account the friction between the object and the wall, as well as the weight and angle of the object.