1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force required to move a book sandwiched between a hand and a table

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You place a book flat on a table and press down on it with your right hand. The hand-to-book and table-to-book coefficients of kinetic friction are 0.50 and 0.45 respectively. The book's mass is 0.98 kg and your downward push on it is 9.30 N. Now, you use your left hand to push the book along the table at constant speed. Assuming that your right hand is stationary with respect to the table, what is the horizontal force exerted on the book by your left hand?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the normal force between the book and the table: 0.45 x 0.98 x 9.8 = 4.32 N.

I dont know what to do with the 9.30 N and 0.50 coefficient!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2
    Easiest way to tackle these problems is by drawing a free body diagram and analyzing the forces.

I'm going to assume that the force you ask about is when the book is moving at a constant velocity.

The friction force is equal to the hand-pushing-force if the book is moving at constant vel.

So find the friction force between the book and the table..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook