Force vector - Value and uncertainty for components

In summary, the problem involves finding the value and uncertainty of the force components Fx and Fy in polar coordinates. The angle must be expressed in radians for accurate calculations. The equations for Fx and Fy are given by Fx = F cos(θ) and Fy = F sin(θ), and the derivatives of these equations can be used to calculate the uncertainties in Fx and Fy. Further steps would involve using the chain rule and evaluating the partial derivatives, but additional guidance from a tutor or professor may be helpful in solving this problem.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A force in polar coordinates is given by F1 = 50±2 N at the angle 30±2 degrees.

Find the value and uncertainty for Fx and Fy

Since force is a vector, there will be an error in both its magnitude and direction...

angle calculations must be in RADIANS...

[itex]
30\frac{+}{}2 degrees = \frac{\pi}{6} \frac{+}{} \frac{\pi}{90}

[/itex]

Homework Equations

Fx = F cos(θ)
Fy = F sin(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx is a function of both F and θ so i took the derivative of Fx = F cos(θ) using the chain rule.

[itex]

F_{x-error} = cos(\theta)\frac{dF_x}{dF} - F(sin(\theta))\frac{dF_x}{d\theta}

[/itex]

I did the same for Fy

[itex]

F_{y-error}= sin(\theta)\frac{dF_y}{dF} + F(cos(\theta))\frac{dF_y}{d\theta}

[/itex]Can i please get some help with what to do next. I am a little lost and confused :(

Thanks for any help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone suggest anything for this?

I know it deals with partial derivatives and everything, I am just not exactly sure about all that stuff and what to do for this question and my professor sure as heck doesn't explain it at all :(

1. What is a force vector?

A force vector is a representation of a force in a given direction and magnitude. It is typically represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the force and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction in which the force is acting.

2. What is the value of a force vector?

The value of a force vector is the magnitude of the force it represents. This can be measured in units such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), depending on the system of measurement being used.

3. What is uncertainty in the context of force vector components?

Uncertainty refers to the potential error or variation in the measured values of the force vector components. This can be caused by factors such as limitations in measurement tools or human error.

4. How is uncertainty calculated for force vector components?

Uncertainty for force vector components is typically calculated using methods such as error propagation, which takes into account the uncertainty in each individual measurement used to determine the force vector components.

5. Why is understanding value and uncertainty important for force vector components?

Understanding the value and uncertainty of force vector components is crucial in accurately representing and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. It allows for more precise measurements and calculations, which are essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics.