Force with friction problem, Please help

In summary, the problem involves two blocks, one weighing 3kg and the other weighing 1kg, connected by a string over a pulley. The 3kg block is on a horizontal surface and has an applied force of 2.3N in the positive direction of x. The blocks have a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.20. The task is to find the acceleration of the system and the tension in the string. The attempt at a solution involves using Newton's second law for both blocks and solving for tension and acceleration. The result is a negative acceleration, which is questioned by the classmates. However, the diagram provided shows that the problem is correctly stated and the masses are not reversed. A tip is given to
AntonioMD
Hey everyone, perhaps you can help me here. I'm having an argument with my classmates on this problem and I'm 99% certain I'm correct. Please provide any feedback.

Homework Statement

Block A is 3kg and is sitting on a horizontal surface, it is attached to a string of negligible mass to block B of 1kg, which is sitting on an inclined plane of 30 degrees to the right of Block A, over a pulley of negligible mass. Block A has a force of 2.3 N being applied to it in the positive direction of x. Both blocks have a coefficient of kinetic friction of .20, Solve for the acceleration of the system and the tension in the string.

Homework Equations

m1 = 3Kg
m2=1kg
coef. of kinetic friction: .20
Fap= 2.3N

Force of kinetic friction=Fn x Coefficient

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying Newtons second law to mass 1

T+Fapplied- force of kinetic friction=m1a

Applying Newtons second law to mass 2

m2gsin∅-T-force of kinetic friction on block 2= m2a
I solve for tension on both equations and then combine them to solve for acceleration:

T=m1a-Fapplied+Fk1

T=m2gsin∅-Fk2-m2a

a=(m2gsin∅-Fk2-Fk1+Fapplied)/(m1+m2)

This yields -.37N/4Kg

My fellow students claim that they're obtaining a positive acceleration but I don't understand how that's even possible.

You have a 3kg Block A with a kinetic friction of 3kg*9.8m/s^2 = 29.4N x .20 = 5.88N and an applied force of only 2.3N, meaning you're going to need a force greater than 3.58 N to keep Block A moving.

Block b has a kinetic friction of 1kg*9.8cos∅ = 8.5N x .20 = 1.7N and the only force acting on block B is gravity, with magniture m2gsin∅ = 1kg*9.8sin∅ = 4.5 N, so the net force acting on the block is only 2.8N. Does this not mean that it is impossible for block A to move along the positive direction of X? My acceleration is yielding negative because the kinetic friction force is greater than the net forces acting in the positive direction of X.

Can someone please confirm that I am correct or please explain to me why I am wrong. It would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
AntonioMD said:
Hey everyone, perhaps you can help me here. I'm having an argument with my classmates on this problem and I'm 99% certain I'm correct. Please provide any feedback.

Homework Statement

Block A is 3kg and is sitting on a horizontal surface, it is attached to a string of negligible mass to block B of 1kg, which is sitting on an inclined plane of 30 degrees to the right of Block A, over a pulley of negligible mass. Block A has a force of 2.3 N being applied to it in the positive direction of x. Both blocks have a coefficient of kinetic friction of .20, Solve for the acceleration of the system and the tension in the string.

Homework Equations

m1 = 3Kg
m2=1kg
coef. of kinetic friction: .20
Fap= 2.3N

Force of kinetic friction=Fn x Coefficient

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying Newtons second law to mass 1

T+Fapplied- force of kinetic friction=m1a

Applying Newtons second law to mass 2

m2gsin∅-T-force of kinetic friction on block 2= m2a
I solve for tension on both equations and then combine them to solve for acceleration:

T=m1a-Fapplied+Fk1

T=m2gsin∅-Fk2-m2a

a=(m2gsin∅-Fk2-Fk1+Fapplied)/(m1+m2)

This yields -.37N/4Kg

My fellow students claim that they're obtaining a positive acceleration but I don't understand how that's even possible.

You have a 3kg Block A with a kinetic friction of 3kg*9.8m/s^2 = 29.4N x .20 = 5.88N and an applied force of only 2.3N, meaning you're going to need a force greater than 3.58 N to keep Block A moving.

Block b has a kinetic friction of 1kg*9.8cos∅ = 8.5N x .20 = 1.7N and the only force acting on block B is gravity, with magniture m2gsin∅ = 1kg*9.8sin∅ = 4.5 N, so the net force acting on the block is only 2.8N. Does this not mean that it is impossible for block A to move along the positive direction of X? My acceleration is yielding negative because the kinetic friction force is greater than the net forces acting in the positive direction of X.

Can someone please confirm that I am correct or please explain to me why I am wrong. It would be greatly appreciated!

IF the acceleration was negative, the friction forces would be in the opposite direction!

Perhaps these masses don't go in either direction?

Last edited:
Double check that you have the problem statement completely correct. Was a diagram included?

There was a diagram included but the problem is exactly as stated. I've attached an image of the problem.

Attachments

• PROBLEM.jpg
    PROBLEM.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 408
Double check that you haven't reversed m1 and m2.

AntonioMD said:
There was a diagram included but the problem is exactly as stated. I've attached an image of the problem.

Just a hint when solving this sort of problem ...

Instead of randomly assigning m1 and m2 to the masses, call the 1 kg mass m1 and the 3 kg mass m3. That way you are never in doubt about which mass you are dealing with.
And yes, I do have problems that include three masses m5, m7 and m12.

Note: I am not saying you have got the masses back to front here!

1. What is force with friction?

Force with friction is a concept in physics that describes the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and slide against each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces, which create frictional forces that oppose the motion between the two objects.

2. How do you calculate force with friction?

The formula for force with friction is F = μN, where F is the force with friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction is a constant that depends on the materials of the two surfaces, and the normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface of contact.

3. What factors affect force with friction?

The coefficient of friction and the normal force are the two main factors that affect force with friction. The coefficient of friction depends on the materials of the two surfaces and can vary depending on the surface roughness, temperature, and other factors. The normal force is affected by the weight and angle of the object, as well as any other external forces acting on it.

4. How does force with friction affect motion?

Force with friction always acts in the direction opposite to the motion of the object. This means that it will slow down or stop the object's motion if the force with friction is greater than the force propelling the object forward. However, if the force propelling the object forward is greater, the object will continue to move but at a slower rate than without friction.

5. How can force with friction be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce force with friction. One way is to use lubricants, such as oil or grease, which can reduce the coefficient of friction between two surfaces. Another way is to use smoother or more slippery materials for the surfaces in contact. Additionally, reducing the weight of the objects or decreasing the normal force can also reduce force with friction.