Forced Damped Oscillator frequency independent quantaties

In summary, the forced damped oscillator has frequency-independent displacement amplitude at low frequencies, velocity amplitude at velocity resonance, and acceleration amplitude at very high frequencies. To approach these types of questions, one can expand the given equation about a point of interest and make an approximation to see how the equation behaves. In this case, the equations are frequency-independent because the frequency term drops out in each case.
mbigras

Homework Statement

For the forced damped oscillator, show that the following are frequency independent.
a) displacement amplitude at low frequencies.
b) the velocity amplitude at velocity resonance.
c) the acceleration amplitude at very high frequencies

Homework Equations

[tex]
A(\omega) =
\frac
{F_{0}}
{m}
\frac
{1}
{\left(\left(\omega_{0}^{2}-\omega^{2}\right)^{2}+\left(\frac{\omega_{0}}{Q} \omega\right)^{2}\right)^{1/2}}
\\
x = A \cos(\omega t + \alpha)\\
\\
Q = \omega_{0}/\gamma\\
\omega_{0} = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the velocity and acceleration we can take the derivative and second derivatve of [itex]x[/itex]. The amplitudes are then (for displacement, velocity and acceleration):
[tex]
A(\omega)\\
-\omega A(\omega)\\
-\omega^{2} A(\omega)
[/tex]
Then the question asks me to show that the equations are frequency indepedent. What I'm most curious about is how to approach these questions. Every time I get one of these questions I experience a deer in the head lights effect. My general guess is that the structure of the question is:

Given an equation, a statement that you can use to make an approximation and a statement that you can use to find a point of interest:
Expand the equation about the point of interest, make an approximation and you'll see that the equation actually behaves in some useful way, or at least a way that makes a calculation easier.

Is this on the right track?

So part a, would I expand about 0, and use the approximation that [itex]\omega << \omega_{0}[/itex]? For part b, would I expand about [itex]\omega_{0}?[/itex]

What does it mean to be frequency independent? Does that mean the frequency term will drop out?

This question has me confused, obviously, but what I think is more important is that it's the whole process that confuses me. I'd like some tips for how to approach these types of questions. Specifically, when to expand, what type of expansions to use, how to choose where your expanding about, and how to understand what your looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea in computig A, wA and w^2 A for displacement, velocity and acceleration respectively. But then you over-complicate the problem.

a) What is A(w) if w goes to zero? Use your formula you derived.
b) wht is wA when w approaches w0?
c) what is w^2 A when w approaches infinity?

Likes 1 person

What is a forced damped oscillator?

A forced damped oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion and is subject to both damping forces and an external driving force.

What is the frequency of a forced damped oscillator?

The frequency of a forced damped oscillator refers to the rate at which it oscillates when driven by an external force. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz).

Is the frequency of a forced damped oscillator independent of its damping coefficient?

No, the frequency of a forced damped oscillator is not independent of its damping coefficient. The damping coefficient affects the amplitude of the oscillations and can also shift the frequency of the oscillator.

How does the amplitude of a forced damped oscillator change over time?

The amplitude of a forced damped oscillator decreases over time due to damping forces, which dissipate energy from the system. The rate of decrease depends on the damping coefficient and the frequency of the external driving force.

Can the frequency of a forced damped oscillator be adjusted?

Yes, the frequency of a forced damped oscillator can be adjusted by changing the damping coefficient or the frequency of the external driving force. This can be done by altering the physical properties of the system or by adjusting the external driving force.