Forces and Motion - Sliding a Box Up an Inclined Plane w/ Friction

In summary, to slide the box up the ramp, you need to apply a force that is greater than the static friction, which is pointing in the opposite direction.
Scimitar

Homework Statement

You are helping a friend move, and you need to load a 2.65x10^2 kg box of books. You slide the box up a ramp, which has an incline of 30 degrees and a coefficient of static friction of 0.45. You apply the force on the box at an angle of 39 degrees with respect to the ramp.

Calculate the minimum force needed to slide the box up the ramp.

Homework Equations

Net force = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure how to draw the FBD for this situation since the static friction may be working in the same direction as the Fapp since the box would slide downwards if no Fapp was affecting it. But I don't really know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Scimitar! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Scimitar said:
… the static friction may be working in the same direction as the Fapp since the box would slide downwards if no Fapp was affecting it. But I don't really know.

Ah, I see what you mean …

before anyone pushes, the static friction is pointing up, since it's stopping the box from sliding down.

You have to remember that static friction is not equal to µN, it is ≤ µN.

In fact, it's a "left-over" force that you have to calculate without using µ at all … it's the force that balances all the other forces.

So when you start to pull the box, the static friction gets less, and eventually it becomes 0.

Then it gets bigger, but down the ramp, until it equals µN.

After that point, it's dynamic friction, and so it is exactly µN (different µ of course :wink:).

When you draw the FBD, you can forget about the history, of the static friction changing direction, and just apply the rule that the friction opposes the motion, which by definition (ie from what the question says) is that the box is about to move upwards

I was wondering how you solve the problem. And also what the answer is. (what equations to use and how to arrange them)

akaay123 said:
I was wondering how you solve the problem. And also what the answer is. (what equations to use and how to arrange them)
Then you need to take the role of the original poster, i.e. post an attempt.

This is what I tried, but I did not get the right answer.

fnetx=max=facos39-Usfn=0
fnety=may=(fn+fasin39)-fgcos30=0

fn+((Usfnsin39)/cos39)-fgcos30=0
fn((1+Ussin39)/cos39)-fgcos30=0
fn=1362.1N

ffs=fax

Usfn=fax
fax=612.945N

fa=fax/cos39
fa=788.7N

but the correct answer is 2.1x10^3N
can someone tell me where I went wrong?
I'm thinking maybe my assumption that Ffs=Fax is incorrect, but I don't know what to do if it is incorrect.

ava ray said:
fnetx=max=facos39-Usfn=0
What about gravity?

Does gravity play a factor in the x- direction?
I have aligned my x-axis with the 30 degree incline to simplify.

ava ray said:
Does gravity play a factor in the x- direction?
I have aligned my x-axis with the 30 degree incline to simplify.
If you had taken x as horizontal then gravity would not have had an x component, but as you say you have aligned x parallel to the ramp, so gravity does have an x component.

With more experience, it would strike you as wrong that you have an equation with g cos(θ) but no equation with g sin(θ).

Likes ava ray
These are my revised fnet desriptions:

facos39-Usfn-fgsin30=0
fasin39+fn-fgcos30=0

how should i go about solving for fn?

ava ray said:
These are my revised fnet desriptions:

facos39-Usfn-fgsin30=0
fasin39+fn-fgcos30=0

how should i go about solving for fn?
You don't need to solve for Fn; you want to eliminate Fn so as to solve for Fa.
Standard procedure: get one equation into the form Fn=... and use that to replace Fn in the other equation.

Likes ava ray
It finally worked. Thanks!

1. What is the force needed to slide a box up an inclined plane with friction?

The force needed to slide a box up an inclined plane with friction is the sum of the force of gravity pulling the box down the incline and the force of friction pushing the box up the incline. This can be calculated using the formula F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the incline, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the force needed to slide a box up an inclined plane with friction?

The force needed to slide a box up an inclined plane with friction increases as the angle of the incline increases. This is because the steeper the incline, the greater the component of gravity pulling the box down the incline, and therefore the greater the force of friction needed to push the box up the incline. As the angle of the incline decreases, the force needed to slide the box up the incline decreases as well.

3. What is the role of friction in sliding a box up an inclined plane?

The force of friction plays a crucial role in sliding a box up an inclined plane. It acts in the opposite direction of the box's motion, counteracting the force of gravity and preventing the box from sliding down the incline. Without friction, the box would simply slide down the incline due to the force of gravity.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the force needed to slide a box up an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of friction means that the surfaces have a stronger interlocking force, resulting in a greater force needed to overcome this resistance and slide the box up the incline. Conversely, a lower coefficient of friction means that the surfaces have less resistance to sliding and therefore a lower force is needed to move the box up the incline.

5. Can the force needed to slide a box up an inclined plane with friction be reduced?

Yes, the force needed to slide a box up an inclined plane with friction can be reduced by decreasing the angle of the incline, using a smoother surface for the inclined plane, or reducing the weight of the box. Additionally, adding a lubricant such as oil or grease to the surface can reduce the force of friction and make it easier to slide the box up the incline.