Forces appearing on the pipe when a fluid flows in it

In summary: The shear stresses create a force on the pipe, which is in the direction of flow. This force is caused by the changes in momentum of the fluid as it flows through the pipe.
mech-eng
Hi, I study linear momentum. But I cannot understand enough that how can forces appear on a pipe when fluid flows in the pipe? Fluid have a momentum as m*v how can forces appear on the pipe. I cannot demonstrate the situation in my mind. How can I find a demonstration or a free body diagram for this.

In another words, if a fluid have momentum while entering and going out of a pipe, why are there forces on the pipe?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Perpendicular to the pipe surface is the pressure in the fluid. Parallel to the pipe surface is fluid drag on the pipe surface. If there are any changes in direction along the pipe those changes in direction cause changes in the fluid's momentum. The pipe reacts to those changes in momentum where the direction changes occur.

OldYat47 said:
Perpendicular to the pipe surface is the pressure in the fluid. Parallel to the pipe surface is fluid drag on the pipe surface. If there are any changes in direction along the pipe those changes in direction cause changes in the fluid's momentum. The pipe reacts to those changes in momentum where the direction changes occur.

Then can we say that when a fluid flowing in a pipe, probably because of viscous effects, fluid apply a force to the pipe in the direction of flow. Is this force appear from shear strain?

Thank you.

It is a viscous flow that gives rise to shear stresses on the pipe.

1. What is the cause of forces appearing on a pipe when a fluid flows through it?

The forces on a pipe when a fluid flows through it are caused by a combination of pressure and shear stresses on the surface of the pipe. These stresses are a result of the fluid's velocity and viscosity.

2. How do these forces affect the pipe and the fluid flow?

The forces on the pipe can cause it to bend or deform, while also affecting the fluid flow by creating turbulence, eddies, and changes in pressure.

3. What factors influence the magnitude of these forces?

The magnitude of forces on a pipe is influenced by the properties of the fluid, such as density and viscosity, as well as the velocity of the fluid and the geometry of the pipe.

4. Can these forces be minimized or controlled?

Yes, these forces can be minimized or controlled through various methods such as changing the fluid velocity, altering the pipe's geometry, or using materials with higher strength and stiffness.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to these forces?

Yes, these forces can pose safety concerns if they exceed the pipe's ability to withstand them, leading to failure and potential hazards. It is important to consider these forces in the design and maintenance of pipelines and other fluid systems.