Forces - distance of a skier on an incline

In summary, the conversation discusses a skier on an inclined slope with an initial speed of 2.7 m/s and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.11. The goal is to determine how far the skier will slide before coming to rest. The discussion includes equations and attempts at solutions, with the final answer being 13m. However, a mistake in the calculation of acceleration is pointed out, and the correct answer is determined to be -0.27m/s^2. The conversation ends with a thank you for the correction.
shawli

Homework Statement

A skier on a slope inclined at 4.7 degrees to the horizontal pushes on ski poles and starts down the slope. The initial speed is 2.7 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between skis and snow is 0.11. Determine how far the skier will slide before coming to rest.

Homework Equations

uK= 0.11

v initial= 2.7 m/s
v final= 0.0 m/s

Fk = uK*Fnormal

F=ma

(v final)^2 = (v initial)^2 +2*a*d

The Attempt at a Solution

(Refer to system diagram for notations and stuff!)

So from what I can tell, the applied force is the horizontal component of gravity, Fgx, and the normal force is the vertical component of gravity, Fgy.

The horizontal component of gravity is:
Fgx= (sin4.7)(9.8)(m)

The force of kinetic friction would come out to be:
Fk=uK*Fgy
Fk=(0.11)(cos4.7)(9.8)(m)

The net force would be:
Fnet = Fapplied - Fkinetic
Fnet = Fgx - Fk
Fgx - Fk = m*a

So, solving, I get:

(sin4.7)(9.8)(m) - (0.11)(cos4.7)(9.8)(m) = m*a
a = 8.67 m/s^2

Now I can use acceleration to find the distance traveled by the skier:

0 = (2.7)^2 +(2)(8.67)(d)
d= 0.42 m

The actual answer is 13m and I'm sure I've done something wrong :redface:.
Can someone guide me through this, please?

Attachments

• system diagram.jpg
    system diagram.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,148
Physics news on Phys.org
shawli said:

Homework Statement

A skier on a slope inclined at 4.7 degrees to the horizontal pushes on ski poles and starts down the slope. The initial speed is 2.7 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between skis and snow is 0.11. Determine how far the skier will slide before coming to rest.

Homework Equations

uK= 0.11

v initial= 2.7 m/s
v final= 0.0 m/s

Fk = uK*Fnormal

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(Refer to system diagram for notations and stuff!)

So from what I can tell, the applied force is the horizontal component of gravity, Fgx, and the normal force is the vertical component of gravity, Fgy.

The horizontal component of gravity is:
Fgx= (sin4.7)(9.8)(m)

The force of kinetic friction would come out to be:
Fk=uK*Fgy
Fk=(0.11)(cos4.7)(9.8)(m)

The net force would be:
Fnet = Fapplied - Fkinetic
Fnet = Fgx - Fk
Fgx - Fk = m*a

So, solving, I get:

a = 8.67 m/s^2

Now I can use acceleration to find the distance traveled by the skier:

0 = (2.7)^2 +(2)(8.67)(d)
d= 0.42 m

The actual answer is 13m and I'm sure I've done something wrong :redface:.
Can someone guide me through this, please?

CHECK YOUR CALCULATION FOR ACCELERATION. YOU SHOULD BE GETTING -0.27m/s^2.

shawli said:
So, solving, I get:

a = 8.67 m/s^2

You have some calculation error here. Be sure to do you calculations using degrees not radians.

Oooh, whoops. So my method was right all along?

Thank you !

I can see that you have made some good attempts at solving this problem. However, there are a few things that need to be corrected in your solution. Firstly, the horizontal component of gravity should be calculated as Fgx = mgsin4.7, where m is the mass of the skier and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Similarly, the normal force should be calculated as Fgy = mgcos4.7.

Additionally, the net force equation you have used is incorrect. The correct equation is Fnet = Fapplied - Ffriction, where Ffriction is the sum of the kinetic friction force and the force of gravity in the direction of motion (Fgx).

Using the correct equations, we can calculate the net force as:
Fnet = (mgsin4.7) - (0.11mgcos4.7) = (m)(9.8)(sin4.7 - 0.11cos4.7)

We also know that the net force is equal to ma, so we can equate the two equations and solve for a:
ma = (m)(9.8)(sin4.7 - 0.11cos4.7)
a = 9.8(sin4.7 - 0.11cos4.7)

Now, we can use this value of acceleration to calculate the distance traveled by the skier:
0 = (2.7)^2 + 2(9.8)(sin4.7 - 0.11cos4.7)(d)
d = 13.03 m

This is the correct distance traveled by the skier before coming to rest. It is important to carefully consider all the forces acting on the skier and use the correct equations to solve the problem. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the relationship between forces and distance of a skier on an incline?

The distance a skier travels on an incline is directly related to the forces acting on them. The greater the force, the farther the skier will travel. This is because the force propels the skier forward along the incline, increasing their distance.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the distance of a skier?

The angle of the incline plays a significant role in determining the distance a skier will travel. As the angle increases, the force of gravity pulling the skier down the incline also increases, resulting in a longer distance traveled.

3. Can friction affect the distance of a skier on an incline?

Yes, friction can significantly impact the distance a skier travels on an incline. Friction acts in the opposite direction of the skier's motion, slowing them down and reducing their overall distance traveled.

4. Why is it easier for a skier to travel farther on a smooth, icy incline compared to a rough, bumpy incline?

On a smooth, icy incline, there is less friction acting on the skier, allowing them to maintain their speed and travel a greater distance. On the other hand, a rough, bumpy incline creates more friction, slowing the skier down and reducing their distance traveled.

5. How can the mass of the skier affect their distance on an incline?

The mass of the skier has a direct impact on their distance traveled on an incline. A heavier skier will have more force acting on them due to gravity, resulting in a longer distance traveled compared to a lighter skier.