Forces needed to move a sliding door, from the physicsly challenged

In summary, John is seeking help in understanding how to calculate the amount of force needed to move a sliding door. He is frustrated with waiting for answers from qualified individuals and is looking for a simple explanation. Based on his research, he believes he will need to know the coefficient of friction and the mass of the door. However, the expert suggests a more practical approach of using a force-meter to determine the necessary force. The expert also mentions the use of a simple formula to calculate the force needed, taking into account the coefficient of friction and normal force.
Dezyna
Hi All, from a totally non physics speaking person, I have been trying my hardest to understand what is involved in working out how many Newtons of force are required to move a simple sliding door.

This is not a homework question although it is becoming related to my daily work, so it is for my own sanity that I am trying to work this out, I am fed up of waiting weeks and relying on people who are "qualified" but can't give me an answer to what I believe is a simple physics problem that most of you can answer in your sleep!

Any help regarding this would be most helpful. from my research so far I am assuming I will need the co-efficient of friction for the bearings and the mass of the door to be moved. Anything else i might need?, please keep all answers as simple as possible...assume i know nothing and you won't be far wrong!

Many thanks, John

Physics news on Phys.org
For things like this, I would take a more practical approach and just use a force-meter (real simple one made of a spring would work), and just pull on the door.

In theory what you need to figure out is the coefficient of friction for the bearings and the normal force applied to those bearings. Using a nice and simple formula: F=mu*N (F is force, mu is coefficient of static friction, and N is the normal force), you will get the force required to get the screen door moving. Of course this force is what is required to *barely* move the screen door.

1. What determines the amount of force needed to move a sliding door?

The amount of force needed to move a sliding door is determined by several factors, including the weight of the door, the type of surface the door is sliding on, and any friction or resistance present.

2. How does the weight of the door affect the force needed to move it?

The weight of the door directly affects the amount of force needed to move it. The heavier the door, the more force is required to overcome its weight and initiate movement.

3. Can the type of surface the door is sliding on impact the force needed?

Yes, the type of surface the door is sliding on can greatly impact the force needed to move it. A smooth surface, such as a well-maintained track, will require less force compared to a rough or uneven surface.

4. How does friction play a role in the force needed to move a sliding door?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. The presence of friction can increase the force needed to move a sliding door, as it creates resistance and makes it more difficult to initiate movement.

5. Are there any ways to reduce the force needed to move a sliding door?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the force needed to move a sliding door. These include regularly cleaning and lubricating the sliding mechanism, using a lighter door material, and installing rollers or bearings to reduce friction and make movement smoother.