Do I need to consider normal force when sliding down a pole

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that affect the speed of a person sliding down a vertical pole. The main question is whether only friction needs to be considered, or if the normal force from the person touching the pole also affects their speed. It is clarified that the person is not in free fall and that their motion is slowed down by the pole. The normal force on the pole can be in any direction, depending on where the person pushes on it. Ultimately, it is concluded that the normal force and friction both play a role in determining the speed of the person sliding down the pole.
Riya23
If someone was sliding down a vertical pole (like a firefighter) would only friction need to be considered to find out how fast the person is "falling" or is there also normal force from where the person is touching the pole, and would that affect the person's speed down?
(I am ignoring air resistance)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you expect the person to accelerate away from the pole?

sliding down the pole

mfb said:
Do you expect the person to accelerate away from the pole?
No, the person is sliding down a pole, my question kind of has to do with Newton 3rd law that says when an object exerts a force on a 2nd object, that 2nd object will exert an equal and opposite force on the 1st object .I am asking a few things:
1) if someone is sliding down a vertical pole is he or she exerting a force on the pole since the person is basically in free fall?
2) if they are exerting a force, then the pole has a normal force too right?
3) if there is a normal force do will it affect how fast the "sliding person" is going down?

If the person would be in free fall, they wouldn't need the pole. Typically you slow down your motion with the pole, which means you are not in free fall. The relevant force is purely vertically, however.

If you put a firmer grip on the pole, the pole will push back with a greater normal force.
Consequently the friction is greater, slowing you down.

Likes Chestermiller
Riya23 said:
2) if they are exerting a force, then the pole has a normal force too right?
True, but the pole is firmly secured to withstand unbalanced forces. If you were to investigate slowing your descent by pushing against only one side of the pole, expect to find yourself rapidly moving farther and farther from the pole during your travel..

The pole is typically round. Depending on where you push on it, the "normal force" can be in any direction you choose. If you wrap your forearms, body and legs around it (never slide down using your hands -- prescription for burns), the normal forces in every direction cancel with each other and you are left with nothing but friction.

Okay I understand it now . Thank you.

1. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from passing through the surface.

2. Do I need to consider normal force when sliding down a pole?

Yes, you do need to consider normal force when sliding down a pole. The normal force from the pole helps to counteract the force of gravity and keep you from falling off.

3. How does normal force affect sliding down a pole?

Normal force plays a crucial role in sliding down a pole. It helps to provide the necessary friction between your body and the pole to slow down your descent and prevent you from slipping off.

4. Can normal force be too strong when sliding down a pole?

Yes, in some cases, the normal force can be too strong when sliding down a pole. This can happen if the pole is too rough or if you are wearing clothing that increases friction. In these cases, the normal force can slow down your descent too much and make it difficult to slide down smoothly.

5. How can I adjust the normal force when sliding down a pole?

You can adjust the normal force when sliding down a pole by changing the angle of your body or by wearing clothing that reduces friction. By experimenting with different body positions and clothing, you can find the right balance of normal force to help you slide down the pole comfortably and safely.