Forces question, a pedagogical machine

In summary: M2 will start moving.. that's what I meant for the cord to pull M2?In summary, the conversation revolved around a question about forces and a pedagogical machine. The question asked how much force was needed to keep one of the masses from rising or falling, given that all surfaces were frictionless. The conversation also included a diagram and equations related to the question. The expert summarizer provided guidance and clarification on how to approach the problem, focusing on each mass separately and calculating the tension only from the vertical part of the force equation for the mass in question.
holezch
forces question, a "pedagogical machine"

Homework Statement

All surfaces are frictionless. How much force must be applied to M1 in order to keep M3 from rising or falling?

Picture:

http://www.slideshare.net/brigittperalta/sol-maquina-pedagogica-1546585

Homework Equations

F = Ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my understanding of these force questions is way off.. if the surfaces are frictionless, how will M1 affect the M2 on top of it? I think in order to keep M3 from falling, you need the tension to equal to the weight of M3..

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
holezch said:
I think my understanding of these force questions is way off.. if the surfaces are frictionless, how will M1 affect the M2 on top of it? I think in order to keep M3 from falling, you need the tension to equal to the weight of M3.

Hi holezch! :smile:

Your diagram shows a block of mass m1 being pulled by a horizontal force F.

On the horizontal top of the block, a mass m2 is attached to a horizontal string which goes over a pulley to become vertical, and is attached to a mass m3 which is free to rise or fall in a vertical hole in the block.

ok … there is no vertical acceleration, so yes, T = m3g, and yes, the block (m1) cannot affect m2.

Hint: you need the acceleration of m2 to equal the acceleration of the block. :wink:

okay, would I have to pull M1 enough so that the whole vertical acceleration of the system is equal to the weight of M3? Since how M3 falls or risings is horizontal, vertical forces won't affect that

thanks a lot!

holezch said:
okay, would I have to pull M1 enough so that the whole vertical acceleration of the system is equal to the weight of M3? Since how M3 falls or risings is horizontal, vertical forces won't affect that

thanks a lot!

"the whole vertical acceleration of the system" doesn't make any sense …

the system doesn't move "as a whole".

and "since how M3 falls or rises is horizontal" doesn't make any sense either. :confused:

Just do Newton's second law three times, once for each of the three masses.​

tiny-tim said:
"the whole vertical acceleration of the system" doesn't make any sense …

the system doesn't move "as a whole".

and "since how M3 falls or rises is horizontal" doesn't make any sense either. :confused:

Just do Newton's second law three times, once for each of the three masses.​

wouldn't it move together? if M2 sits on top of M1..

thanks

No, because all surfaces are frictionless …

if there's no friction, and if there was no tension from m3, there's no force, so (good ol' Newtons first law) m2 ain't going nowhere :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
No, because all surfaces are frictionless …

if there's no friction, and if there was no tension from m3, there's no force, so (good ol' Newtons first law) m2 ain't going nowhere :biggrin:

okay, so I guess the big m1 block has to push m3 which pulls the cord and pulls m2.. so then you have to push m3 until the acceleration of m2 is equal to m1? Is that so the tension of the string is balanced out?

thanks

holezch said:
okay, so I guess the big m1 block has to push m3 which pulls the cord and pulls m2.. so then you have to push m3 until the acceleration of m2 is equal to m1? Is that so the tension of the string is balanced out?

thanks

(just got up :zzz: …)

No, you're not thinking about this the right way.

You need to think about each mass separately … what are the forces on it? … what is its acceleration?

Concentrate on m3 (the one in the vertical hole) …

what are the horizontal forces on m3? … what is its horizontal acceleration?

what are the vertical forces on m3? … what is its vertical acceleration?

tiny-tim said:

No, you're not thinking about this the right way.

You need to think about each mass separately … what are the forces on it? … what is its acceleration?

Concentrate on m3 (the one in the vertical hole) …

what are the horizontal forces on m3? … what is its horizontal acceleration?

what are the vertical forces on m3? … what is its vertical acceleration?

thanks tiny-tim, I drew my free body diagram focusing individually on masses.. for M3, I have that ma1 is pushing it sideways, mg is pulling it down, and so the total force is diagonal m(a1+g) and this is what is pulling the cord as well. Then the cord pulls on M2 by m(a1+g).. and then by Newton's 3rd law, M2 should pull back by m(a1+g) as well.. but then that would cause an equilibrium in the pulley system for any force you apply to M1 ?? that's definitely not right...

my concept of tension is obviously wrong.. if I imagined a case when M2 is not moving and M3 is just pulling down, I'll get an equilibrium!

If M3 is pulling on the cord, wouldn't that become the tension?

holezch said:
for M3, I have that ma1 is pushing it sideways, mg is pulling it down, and so the total force is diagonal m(a1+g) and this is what is pulling the cord as well.

Sorry, but that's completely wrong. :redface:

A cord (string, rope, etc) only experiences a force (tension) along its length.

The length is vertical, so the force is vertical.

(Yes, I agree m3 is also getting a horizontal acceleration, but that's from being pushed horizontally by the wall of the hole … it has nothing to do with the cord.)

Start again, calculating the tension T only from the vertical part of F = ma for m3.

tiny-tim said:
Sorry, but that's completely wrong. :redface:

A cord (string, rope, etc) only experiences a force (tension) along its length.

The length is vertical, so the force is vertical.

(Yes, I agree m3 is also getting a horizontal acceleration, but that's from being pushed horizontally by the wall of the hole … it has nothing to do with the cord.)

Start again, calculating the tension T only from the vertical part of F = ma for m3.
but if you pushed the block sideways so it starts moving horizontally, wouldn't it pull the cord sideways as well? :S

holezch said:
but if you pushed the block sideways so it starts moving horizontally, wouldn't it pull the cord sideways as well? :S

You need to consider one mass at a time …

For m3, the cord is vertical, so the tension T3 acting on m3 is vertical.

For m2, the cord is horizontal, so the tension T2 acting on m2 is horizontal.

(and obviously in this case T2 = T3)

tiny-tim said:
You need to consider one mass at a time …

For m3, the cord is vertical, so the tension T3 acting on m3 is vertical.

For m2, the cord is horizontal, so the tension T2 acting on m2 is horizontal.

(and obviously in this case T2 = T3)

thanks, but I meant for M3, if M1 pushes M3 horizontally, the cord will start getting pulled horizontally? :S

holezch said:
thanks, but I meant for M3, if M1 pushes M3 horizontally, the cord will start getting pulled horizontally? :S

If you mean that the cord will start moving horizontally, the answer is no, not necessarily.

If you mean that the cord will start getting a horizontal tension, that has nothing do to with the force of m1 on m3.

Why did you ask this?

Which of the three masses were you considering the forces on, and in which direction? :confused:

(btw, I'm going to bed now :zzz: …)

I was trying to focus on m3 and then m2.. :( Could you please show me a worked out solution so I know what to do for next time? I'd really appreciate it.. thanks

holezch said:
I was trying to focus on m3 and then m2.. :( Could you please show me a worked out solution so I know what to do for next time? I'd really appreciate it.. thanks

erm :redface:noooo

You have three unknowns: a, the acceleration of m1, b, the acceleration of m2 and m3, and T, the tension.

Do three separate F = ma equations for forces and acceleration:

i] for m1 in the horizontal direction

ii] for m2 in the horizontal direction

i] for m3 in the vertical direction​

That will give you three equations for three unknowns, which you can then solve.

okay, if we want m2 to have the same acceleration as m1, don't we only need to push m1 so that the total force is equal to mg/2 (if they had equal masses) ? since that's how m2 will be moving.. thanks

Last edited:

tiny-tim said:
erm :redface:noooo

You have three unknowns: a, the acceleration of m1, b, the acceleration of m2 and m3, and T, the tension.

Do three separate F = ma equations for forces and acceleration:

i] for m1 in the horizontal direction

ii] for m2 in the horizontal direction

i] for m3 in the vertical direction​

That will give you three equations for three unknowns, which you can then solve.

acceleration of m3 = mg/2
T = mg/2
acceleration of m2 = mg/2
acceleration of m1 = m1a1 (we can choose this force)

I still need to produce a force to counter balance the mg from m3.. I don't know what kind of force would do that :(

holezch said:
acceleration of m3 = mg/2

(did you copy that from some other problem? :frown:)

You mean the vertical acceleration?

NO, the vertical acceleration of m3 is zero.

Try again.​

tiny-tim said:
(just got up :zzz: …)(did you copy that from some other problem? :frown:)

You mean the vertical acceleration?

NO, the vertical acceleration of m3 is zero.

Try again.​

I'm confused :S if we suppose that the vertical acceleration of m3 is zero, how do we explain it? (there are no counterbalancing forces :S)
thanks

Last edited:

holezch said:
I'm confused :S if we suppose that the vertical acceleration of m3 is zero, how do we explain it? (there are no counterbalancing forces :S)
thanks

You realize that that is the objective of this problem, right?

holezch said:
All surfaces are frictionless. How much force must be applied to M1 in order to keep M3 from rising or falling?

TWO forces act on m3: 1. gravity and 2. the force due to the tension in the rope.

cepheid said:
You realize that that is the objective of this problem, right?
TWO forces act on m3: 1. gravity and 2. the force due to the tension in the rope.

yea :P I understand.. I just don't understand how the tension could balance out the weight :S there are no other forces on the top block going the other direction :S So I guess the question is, how can you push m1 so that you create a force on m2 that opposes the pull by the cord? I wouldn't know the answer to that :S thanks

edit: okay , I have some idea.. I think, if m1 is my reference frame, then m2 will be going in the opposite direction as well.. is this on the right track? without pushing m1, m2 would be pulling the cord by mg/2.. so would you pull m1 forward by mg? (a total force of mg/2) Then the total force on the cord by m2 would be mg, and it would cancel out the weight of m3 thanks

Last edited:
holezch said:
I just don't understand how the tension could balance out the weight …

That's because you're not writing the equations out!

For m3: tension + weight = m3*acceleration = 0.

For m2: tension = m2* acceleration.

For m1: force = m1* acceleration.

Write them all out, and solve them! :smile:
edit: okay , I have some idea.. I think, if m1 is my reference frame, then m2 will be going in the opposite direction as well.. is this on the right track? without pushing m1, m2 would be pulling the cord by mg/2.. so would you pull m1 forward by mg? (a total force of mg/2) Then the total force on the cord by m2 would be mg, and it would cancel out the weight of m3 thanks
A reference frame has to be inertial, that is, stationary or with constant velocity.

You can't use m1 as a frame, since it's accelerating.

What is a pedagogical machine?

A pedagogical machine is a teaching tool that uses technology and interactive elements to facilitate learning and understanding of complex concepts. It is often used in educational settings to help students grasp difficult concepts in a more engaging and interactive way.

How does a pedagogical machine work?

A pedagogical machine works by presenting information and concepts in a variety of formats, such as videos, animations, and interactive activities. It incorporates elements of gamification to make learning more enjoyable and effective. It also utilizes feedback and assessment tools to track progress and provide personalized learning experiences.

What are the benefits of using a pedagogical machine?

There are several benefits to using a pedagogical machine in education. Firstly, it can make learning more engaging and interactive, which can improve retention and understanding of complex concepts. Secondly, it can provide personalized learning experiences based on the individual needs and progress of each student. Lastly, it can help bridge the gap between theoretical knowledge and practical application.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a pedagogical machine?

While pedagogical machines have many benefits, there are also some limitations and drawbacks. One potential limitation is the cost of implementing and maintaining such technology. Additionally, some students may not respond well to this type of learning and may prefer more traditional teaching methods. It is important to consider the individual needs and preferences of students when incorporating pedagogical machines into education.

How can a pedagogical machine be used in different subjects or fields of study?

A pedagogical machine can be used in a variety of subjects and fields of study. It can be tailored to fit the specific needs and requirements of different subjects, such as math, science, language arts, and more. It can also be used in different levels of education, from primary school to higher education. Additionally, it can be used for both theoretical and practical learning, making it a versatile tool for various subjects and fields of study.