1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Formal term for cross-polarization effect

1. Aug 12, 2018 at 12:16 AM #1

nrb

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine attending university in Japan is trying to write a paper in English discussing the effect that occurs when looking at a screen through polarized sun glasses (i.e. it looks dark or black).

She is looking for a formal term that specifically addresses the screen appearing black, rather than the cross-polarization that underlies the effect. The phenomenon rather than it's mechanics.

Is there a formal term for that? Occlusion doesn't sound like it would be right, but maybe it is; I am not a scientist (only trying to help out).

- nrb

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2018 at 3:51 AM #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

"Polarisation discrimination"?
    "Cancellation of cross polar component"?
    But the term "Cross Polarisation" is used in the contexts of Light and RF, so what's wrong with it?

4. Aug 12, 2018 at 7:49 AM #3
  5. Aug 12, 2018 at 11:34 PM #4

nrb

Hi sophiecentaur and e-pie,

On the basis of your feedback she's going to go with "cross-polarization effect" and "cross-polarization problem" in her paper.

Apparently they have a specific word for this in Japanese, and she was looking for a precise equivalent in English. That said, I think this will be fine.

Thank you very much for your input. I recognize this isn't exactly exciting stuff.

- nrb

6. Aug 13, 2018 at 6:10 AM #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I have also come across the term "Cross polar rejection".
    There is a range of terms and the context of a well written article will resolve any possible confusion. I would suggest that your friend reads around. Google search and then a search of each document can save time when you are after a specific word and its uses.

7. Aug 13, 2018 at 3:15 PM #6

tech99

Gold Member

Extinction. I think this is the word used by researchers like Faraday.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted