Forming Hydrogen wave functions with real spherical harmonics

In summary: This means that using real spherical harmonics to construct your wave function will result in a loss of information about the angular momentum quantum number, but it is still a valid method to obtain a real wave function.In summary, the conversation discusses how to apply real spherical harmonics when building a hydrogen wave function for a computational project. The real spherical harmonics, p_x, p_y, p_z, are used to construct the angular part of the p orbitals. While the resulting wave function may lose information about the angular momentum quantum number, it is still a valid method. It is also mentioned that states with different m are degenerate in the hydrogen atom, making any linear combination of these states an eigenstate.
dipole
Hi, I'm a little confused about how to apply the real spherical harmonics when building a hydrogen wave function.

I'm doing a computational project, so I want to work with a wave function which is strictly real, and I'm hoping I can do so by building the orbitals using the real spherical harmonics, [itex] p_x, p_y, p_z,... [/itex] etc. Can someone give me a link or reference as to how that works?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
dipole said:
I'm doing a computational project, so I want to work with a wave function which is strictly real, and I'm hoping I can do so by building the orbitals using the real spherical harmonics, [itex] p_x, p_y, p_z,... [/itex] etc. Can someone give me a link or reference as to how that works?
Not sure exactly what you want, but you construct the angular part of the p orbitals by transforming from the usual basis of spherical harmonics ##Y_{1,1}##, ##Y_{1,0}##, ##Y_{1,-1}## to
$$
p_x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( Y_{1,-1} - Y_{1,1} \right) \\
p_y = \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} \left( Y_{1,-1} + Y_{1,1} \right) \\
p_z = Y_{1,0}
$$

Hi, so my question is, does the wave function,

[tex] \psi_{nlm}(\vec{x}) = R_{n\ell}(r)p_{i}(\theta,\phi) [/tex]

where [itex] p_{i}(\theta,\phi) [/itex] are the real spherical harmonics, satisfy the same Schrodinger equation as the wave function

[tex] \psi_{nlm}(\vec{x}) = R_{n\ell}(r)Y_{\ell}^m(\theta,\phi) [/tex] ?

Thanks.

Just act with H, especially with the part containing the phi-derivative, on the new functions and check what happens with m

dipole said:
Hi, so my question is, does the wave function,

[tex] \psi_{nlm}(\vec{x}) = R_{n\ell}(r)p_{i}(\theta,\phi) [/tex]

where [itex] p_{i}(\theta,\phi) [/itex] are the real spherical harmonics, satisfy the same Schrodinger equation as the wave function

[tex] \psi_{nlm}(\vec{x}) = R_{n\ell}(r)Y_{\ell}^m(\theta,\phi) [/tex] ?

Thanks.

Yes, the states with different m are degenerate in the hydrogen atom. Hence any linear combination (notably the real ones) of these states is again an eigenstate.

To add to what Tom and DrDu wrote, just note that while the real spherical harmonics are eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian of the hydrogen atom, they are not simultaneously eigenfunctions of ##\hat{l}_z##, as the complex ##Y_{l,m}## are.

What is the purpose of forming hydrogen wave functions with real spherical harmonics?

The purpose of forming hydrogen wave functions with real spherical harmonics is to accurately describe the probability distribution of an electron in a hydrogen atom. These wave functions are solutions to the Schrodinger equation and can provide insight into the behavior of the electron.

How are real spherical harmonics used in forming hydrogen wave functions?

Real spherical harmonics are used as basis functions in forming hydrogen wave functions. These functions are a set of orthogonal functions that can be combined to create a complete wave function that describes the electron's behavior in the atom.

What is the significance of using real spherical harmonics instead of other basis functions?

Real spherical harmonics are particularly useful for describing the behavior of electrons in spherically symmetric systems, such as the hydrogen atom. They also have the property of being eigenfunctions of the angular momentum operator, making them well-suited for describing the angular momentum of the electron.

What is the relationship between real spherical harmonics and the quantum numbers of the electron?

Real spherical harmonics are labeled by three quantum numbers: n, l, and m. These correspond to the principal, azimuthal, and magnetic quantum numbers, respectively. The values of these quantum numbers determine the shape and orientation of the electron's probability distribution in the atom.

How can real spherical harmonics be visualized in forming hydrogen wave functions?

Real spherical harmonics can be visualized as three-dimensional shapes, with each shape representing a specific combination of quantum numbers. These shapes can help to illustrate the behavior of the electron and how it changes as the quantum numbers vary.