Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula for a titration curve?

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    They say it's possible to find the growth-rate ie the second derivative of a titration curve on wikipedia. I am interested in finding & deriving such a formula, because I need to know why the growth-rate is so small in the beginning of the titration but it gets so much bigger as you add larger volumes of the titrant.. Shouldn't it be the opposite, if it isn't linear?

I don't get it, if a strong acid is titrated gradually by a strong base, shouldn't the pH growth-rate until the equivalence point be constant? Ie the function should be linear until the equivalence point?

If I would guess the reason, would it be because the water is kind of "resistant" to titration? Let's take the picture below as an example: there are kind of "reserves" of un-protolyzed acids which act as a buffer vs the titrating base?

[PLAIN]http://www.files.chem.vt.edu/chem-ed/titration/graphics/titration-strong-acid-35ml.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2
  4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Aug 6, 2011 #4
    thanks, I get it now =)

6. Jan 29, 2012 #5
    Awesome, thanks so much for this explanation. I've been looking for a good explanation of the shape of a titration curve forever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook