Formula for sink rate for aircraft landing?

In summary, the sink rate is the amount of distance/time the aircraft sinks from final position to reach touchdown on the runway threshold. It is usually measured in feet/second. drag is the force opposing the motion of an object and is measured in pounds. The sink rate in the last stages of a flare is mostly a process of drag vs kinetic energy.
wbk
Hello,
my first post here.

I'm an avid flight sim enthusiast. I wanted to ask what is the formula for calculation of sink rate for aircrafts?

I know 4 forces act on the airframe:

lift
drag
gravity
thrust

sink rate is the amount of distance/time the aircraft sinks from final position to reach touchdown on the runway threshold. usually measured in feet/second.

Another thing I wanted, is how drag is represented. I mean what is drag? how to calculate drag on an aircraft grossing 31,000 lbs. what factors must be taken into account?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sink/climb rate is determined by aircraft weight, thrust, air speed, and glide ratio at current air speed. As long as angle of descent/climb is relatively small, it can be estimated as speed*(thrust-weight/glide)/weight. Positive value for climb, negative for descent.

You can estimate drag on the aircraft by dividing weight of the aircraft by glide ratio.

I had the impression the equations below applied, although maybe they turn out to be the same as what K2 posted.

Assume aircraft is at constant velocity, and no wind (else use air as frame of reference).

let θ = angle of aircraft path versus horizontal (zero = horizontal, + is climb, - is sink)

climb or sink glide ratio = tan(θ) (+ for climb, - for sink)

climb or sink rate = speed x sin(θ)

drag = thrust - weight x sin(θ)

The "sink rate" in the last stages of a flare, which is what the latter part of the landing process is called, is mostly a process of drag vs kinetic energy.

The process is to increase the drag by raising the nose of the aircraft, therefore increasing the angle-of-attack of the wing. The variables involved in the flare would be the lift/drag characteristics of the wing,including of course the flaps, the drag of the fuselage, the "entry" speed (how much kinetic energy) and the amount of power you use to modify the level of that kinetic energy.

Gravity is a constant unless you get heavy-handed, which does happen. Chuckle.

As for the formulas, look into aerodynamics online. You might want to take some aspirin first.

Last edited:
DarioC said:
The "sink rate" in the last stages of a flare, which is what the latter part of the landing process is called, is mostly a process of drag vs kinetic energy.

The process is to increase the drag by raising the nose of the aircraft, therefore increasing the angle-of-attack of the wing.

No - the sink rate during flare is not significantly affected by drag.

What raising the nose does is increase the angle of attack, which incidentally does increase drag - but the main effect is to increase lift. Since the lift becomes larger than weight - it used to be equal to weight during approach - the plane starts to accelerate upwards, and the sink rate therefore starts to decrease.

thanks for all suggestions.

1. What is the formula for calculating the sink rate for an aircraft landing?

The formula for sink rate for aircraft landing is: Sink Rate = (Weight x 60) / (Drag x Airspeed). This formula takes into account the weight of the aircraft, the amount of drag it experiences, and the airspeed at which it is flying.

2. How is the sink rate affected by the weight of the aircraft?

The sink rate is directly proportional to the weight of the aircraft. This means that as the weight increases, the sink rate also increases. This is because a heavier aircraft requires more lift to stay aloft, which results in a higher sink rate during landing.

3. What role does drag play in the sink rate formula?

Drag is an important factor in the sink rate formula because it represents the force that is acting against the forward motion of the aircraft. The more drag an aircraft experiences, the slower it will descend during landing, resulting in a lower sink rate.

4. How does airspeed affect the sink rate of an aircraft?

Airspeed plays a critical role in the sink rate formula. As the airspeed increases, the sink rate decreases. This is because a higher airspeed creates more lift, which helps to counteract the weight and drag of the aircraft, resulting in a lower sink rate during landing.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the sink rate of an aircraft during landing?

Yes, there can be other factors that can affect the sink rate of an aircraft during landing. These include wind speed and direction, temperature and altitude, and the pilot's technique and experience. These factors can all impact the lift and drag of the aircraft, which in turn can affect the sink rate during landing.