Formula for time to distance from stop

In summary, the time it takes for a vehicle to start from a stopped position on a paved asphalt roadway (coef of approx .70), a grade of +3 degrees, and accelerate to a known distance is dependent upon the force, rate of acceleration, etc. and may not be able to be calculated without many other parameters in place first.
jph
Can someone please post the formula I need to use to determine the time it takes for a vehicle to start from a stopped position on a paved asphalt roadway (coef of approx .70), a grade of +3 degrees, and accelerate to a known distance?

Thanks for any help.

jph

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question? In that case, you write what you have done so far.

As stated this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Since you give the "coefficient" (of friction?) I suppose we are to calculate the acceleration from force but you haven't told us the force exerted by the engine.

I think the vehicle is simply rolling downhill. Let the OP present the problem clearly.

Drive down

This is not for homework or a class assignment. I'm trying to resolve a hunch on how a motor vehicle accident happened. I believe it was intentionally created, called a "drive down."

I am aware of some speed formulas and can derive them from KE=FR.

I believe that there is a formula that will allow me to determine the time it takes for a vehicle to accelerate from a stop to a given distance, and that it is dependent upon the force, rate of acceleration, etc. and I likely may not be able to apply the formula without having many other parameters in place first. I am not sure of what all parameters I must have to derive the time in this case.

I do not recall the necessary elements needed for the formula.

I should be able to obtain them. I know the coef of the roadway, the grade of incline, and the distance the vehicle traveled prior to impact. I know the type of vehicle and can get the weight of the vehicle to an approximation.

Is there a formula, or am I searching for a pipe dream?

Thanks

Ooh, a mystery thriller!

The grade of just 3 degrees will be negligible, in compared to accelerations produced by cars.

I also presume the co-eff of friction is that for rolling friction. Otherwise, it’s of no use.

Assuming constant acceleration, d = (½)at^2. You can get ‘t’ from this, provided you know ‘a’.

The component of g along the road will be g*(sin 3 deg). The resisting force is 0.7*m*g so the deceleration will be 0.7*g due to friction.

The other component of acceleration has to be experimentally found. You may also get the maximum acceleration from the car manual, but I can’t see how you will know the actual value.

If you can figure out roughly the speed at impact, then you can know the accn by using v^2=2da.

Thank you!

I appreciate your response. It was very helpful.

jph

1. What is the formula for calculating the time it takes to come to a complete stop from a given distance?

The formula for time to distance from stop is: t = √(2d/a) where t is the time in seconds, d is the distance in meters, and a is the deceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How is the formula derived?

The formula is derived from the basic physics equation for motion, which is d = 1/2at² + v₀t + d₀, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, t is the time, v₀ is the initial velocity, and d₀ is the initial distance. By rearranging the equation to solve for t, we get t = √(2d/a).

3. Can the formula be used for any type of vehicle or object?

Yes, the formula can be used for any object that is decelerating from a given distance. It can be applied to cars, trains, airplanes, or any other moving object.

4. How accurate is the formula?

The formula is a simplified calculation and may not account for all factors such as friction, air resistance, or varying deceleration rates. It can provide a good estimate, but for more precise calculations, additional factors should be considered.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula?

Yes, the formula assumes a constant deceleration rate and may not accurately reflect real-life situations where the deceleration rate may vary. It also does not take into account external factors such as road conditions, driver reaction time, and braking system efficiency.