Formula to calculate amount of force needed to lift/hover

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of thrust and its relation to weight in building a drone. The amount of thrust needed to hover is at least equal to the weight of the object. It is determined that thrust needed to lift 1 gram is 9.8 Newtons per kilogram at Earth's surface. There is also a mention of the need for a significantly greater thrust to allow the drone to climb or slow down from a descent, and the possibility of using lateral movement and throttle to recover from Vortex Ring State.
ARC123
I was thinking off building a drone and I was just curious about what the amount of thrust we need to be in order to hover based on weight

Physics news on Phys.org
ARC123 said:
I was thinking off building a drone and I was just curious about what the amount of thrust we need to be in order to hover based on weight

I'm scratching my head here quite a bit.

"Thrust" is a force. You know the weight (mg) of the object. Shouldn't the thrust be at least equal to the weight?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm scratching my head here quite a bit.

"Thrust" is a force. You know the weight (mg) of the object. Shouldn't the thrust be at least equal to the weight?

Zz.
Sorry if this I said stupid question but I don't know. So is 1 Newton of force required to hover 1 gram?

ARC123 said:
Sorry if this I said stupid question but I don't know. So is 1 Newton of force required to hover 1 gram?
No, it's 9.8 Newtons per kilogram at Earth's surface.

But is this really the question you want to ask or are you really needing to figure out how to generate the thrust?

russ_watters said:
No, it's 9.8 Newtons per kilogram at Earth's surface.

But is this really the question you want to ask or are you really needing to figure out how to generate the thrust?
No the answer you gave me is what I was looking for I just couldn't find how much it would take to lift 1 gram. I thought it would be around .098 or something like that. But I was wondering if there was a formula so that i just plug in the mass and I get the thrust in Newtons.

F=ma

Blibbler said:
F=ma
So then to calculate something hovering would acceleration be 9.8 and mass always kilograms?

The thrust has to be significantly greater than the weight in order for the drone to be able to climb or to be able to slow down from a descent. The thrust needs to be well more than double (perhaps 3x or more) the weight in order to be able to power out of Vortex Ring State, a condition that occurs when descending fast enough for the air to flow upwards near the hub of each rotor. Vortex Ring State can also be recovered from by moving laterally and applying throttle if there's not enough power to climb out of it.

What is the formula to calculate the amount of force needed to lift/hover an object?

The formula to calculate the amount of force needed to lift/hover an object is F = m x g, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

How do I determine the mass of the object for the calculation?

The mass of the object can be determined by weighing it using a scale or by using the density formula, where density = mass/volume. The volume can be measured using a ruler or by calculating the volume of a regular-shaped object using its dimensions.

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2, which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity.

Does the altitude or location affect the calculation?

Yes, the altitude or location can affect the calculation as the acceleration due to gravity can vary slightly depending on the altitude and location on Earth. However, for most practical purposes, this variation is negligible and the standard value of 9.8 m/s^2 can be used.

How does the angle or direction of lift affect the calculation?

The angle or direction of lift does not affect the overall calculation, as the force required to lift an object is dependent on its mass and the acceleration due to gravity, regardless of the angle or direction of lift. However, the angle or direction may affect the distribution of force needed to lift the object evenly.