1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Formula to calculate amount of force needed to lift/hover

Tags:
  1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    I was thinking off building a drone and I was just curious about what the amount of thrust we need to be in order to hover based on weight

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2017 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm scratching my head here quite a bit.

"Thrust" is a force. You know the weight (mg) of the object. Shouldn't the thrust be at least equal to the weight?

Zz.

4. Jan 4, 2017 #3
    Sorry if this I said stupid question but I don't know. So is 1 newton of force required to hover 1 gram?

5. Jan 4, 2017 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, it's 9.8 Newtons per kilogram at Earth's surface.

But is this really the question you want to ask or are you really needing to figure out how to generate the thrust?

6. Jan 4, 2017 #5
    No the answer you gave me is what I was looking for I just couldn't find how much it would take to lift 1 gram. I thought it would be around .098 or something like that. But I was wondering if there was a formula so that i just plug in the mass and I get the thrust in newtons.

7. Jan 4, 2017 #6
  8. Jan 4, 2017 #7
    So then to calculate something hovering would acceleration be 9.8 and mass always kilograms?

9. Jan 4, 2017 #8

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The thrust has to be significantly greater than the weight in order for the drone to be able to climb or to be able to slow down from a descent. The thrust needs to be well more than double (perhaps 3x or more) the weight in order to be able to power out of Vortex Ring State, a condition that occurs when descending fast enough for the air to flow upwards near the hub of each rotor. Vortex Ring State can also be recovered from by moving laterally and applying throttle if there's not enough power to climb out of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted