Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formulas for designing an induction generator

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1
    Hello. I am attempting to design a generator that works with the (admittitedly) inefficent design or rotating a conductive material inside a magnetic field to produce current flow. I could use help finding the formulas I need to calculate the ammount of spin and size of coils i will need to produce current so that I can play around with a desing idea I have and see just how innefficent and impossible to build it will be. I would appriciate not just the formulas that I will need to calculate the variables to achieve a specific output but also the references I should read to gain a better understanding of the proper applications of them and to increase my knowledge. I am not an engineer or electrician, however I am not completely uneducated. I understand the basic principles and would like to give myself a quick education on very basic level design theory and various materials that would work better than copper wire for my coils. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2
    You figure this out yet? Check out the homemade windmill forums, may I ask what your trying to use it for?

4. Jun 9, 2012 #3
    I haven't figured it out yet I don't have much spare time. So I have just downloaded the texts for a mechanical engineering and eletrical engineering degree, (cal-tech masters program) and will just read through them over the next few weeks and give myself a quick education in what I am missing. I had an idea for a different type of power generator that I am hoping will be cheap enough to build, and will over come its inefficencys by taking advantage of what is often called cold energy effects to be marketable at a profit. I am wanting to build a test model to see if I am correct or if I am just getting to spend a few weeks playi9ng in the shop for fun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook