1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fossil Fuels and Energy

1. Oct 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Today, globally, only 2% of our energy comes from carbon-free energy sources. If we continue economic and population growth in a business-as-usual scenario, what % of our energy needs to come from carbon-free sources if we want to stabilize our atmosphere at 450 ppm? [Use your answer from Q4, to calculate the %].
    Answer from Q4= 14.7 tetrawatts are required to stabilize at 450ppm in 2050

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really think that I have to find the amount of energy that carbon-free sources have in average.
    I am using this model http://forecast.uchicago.edu/kaya.html

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

What is Q4?

4. Oct 30, 2015 #3
    sorry question 4. Question 4 asked me to find the required energy to stabilize the atmosphere at 450ppm in 2050. I did that with the model of the link in the description.

5. Oct 30, 2015 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

It doesn't require energy to stabilize atmospheric C content (and your answer isn't energy either..)
    Can you post the question word for word? It's hard to offer assistance without the full story.

6. Oct 30, 2015 #5
    That's the whole question. I calculated the 14.7 tetrawatts by using the model in the description of the problem. If you set the model in the mode carbon-free energy needed , you will realize that in 2050, 14.7 tetrawatts of energy are required to stabilize the atmosphere at 450ppm.

7. Oct 30, 2015 #6

billy_joule

Science Advisor

14.7 Terawatts of power.
    The problem would be more accurately stated as something like:
    'To maintain projected global power consumption and also stabilize C at 450ppm how much carbon free power must be produced in 2050?'

Anyway, I get 7.144 Terawatts, which may be because we are using different growth rates, I left them at the default, all zero.

Back to your original question; To find what percent of C free power is of total power; You know C free power already and the total power can be found on the (mislabelled) total energy production graph.

8. Oct 30, 2015 #7
    Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted