1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fouier series from the sign function

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If I have the standard sign function defined on R is the corresponding fourier series the standard fourier series with plus/minus in front respectively?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you write down exactly what you mean by "standard sign function"? To me, it means

[tex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}1, & \textrm{if }x > 0 \\
    -1, & \textrm{if }x < 0 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

and [itex]f(0)[/itex] is typically defined as either 0 or 1, though its value doesn't make any difference with regard to Fourier series.

There is no Fourier series defined for this function unless you restrict the domain to a finite interval. And the series will depend on which interval you choose.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    Is says find the fourier series

[tex]f(x) = sign(x)[/tex] where [tex]x \in ]-\pi,\pi[[/tex]

But since my interval is finite. How do I then go about finding the fourier series for that f(x)??

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you write down the formula for finding the Fourier coefficients of [itex]f(x)[/itex], and then try plugging in this particular [itex]f(x)[/itex], so we can see how far you are able to get on your own?

6. Oct 4, 2009 #5
    Yes if f(x) is even defined on the interval [-n,n]

then the fourier series is [tex]n_0 + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} n_k cos(k\pi x / n)[/tex]

and

[tex]n_0 = \frac{1}{n} \int_{0}^{n} f(x) dx[/tex]

[tex]n_k = \frac{1}{n} \int_{0}^{n} f(x) \cdot cos(k \pi x /n) dx[/tex]

if f(x) is odd

then [tex]f(x) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} n_k \cdot sin(k \pi x /n)[/tex]

where [tex]b_k = \frac{2}{n} \int_{0}^{n} f(x) \cdot sin(k \pi x /n)[/tex]

Is this what you mean?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  7. Oct 4, 2009 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, let's work with that. Your function is clearly odd, so use the formula for [itex]b_k[/itex]. (By the way, there's a typo in your formula for [itex]f(x)[/itex]: surely [itex]n_k[/itex] should be [itex]b_k[/itex].)

Now plug in [itex]f(x)[/itex] for this particular function. What is [itex]n[/itex] in this case?

8. Oct 4, 2009 #7
    am I stupid or is n = 1 ??

and I then end up with two version of [tex]b_k[/tex]

where [tex]b_{k_1} = \frac{2}{n=1} \int_{0}^{1} sin(kx) dx [/tex]

and [tex]b_{k_2} = \frac{2}{n=-1} \int_{0}^{-1} sin(-kx) dx [/tex] ???

9. Oct 4, 2009 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, [itex]n[/itex] is the (one-sided) interval over which the function is defined.

Your function is defined on [itex][-\pi, \pi][/itex], so [itex]n = \pi[/itex].

The formula for [itex]b_k[/itex] tells you to integrate only over [itex][0,\pi][/itex]. Your function is equal to ONE over that entire interval, so you simply end up with

[tex]b_k = 2 \int_{0}^{\pi} sin(kx) dx[/tex]

You don't have to worry about the negative half of the function, because this formula for [itex]b_k[/itex] assumes that the function is odd.

There is a more general formula for Fourier coefficients which does not assume that the function is even OR odd:

[tex]a_k = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x) \cos(kx) dx[/tex]
    [tex]b_k = \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x) \sin(kx) dx[/tex]

Note that in the special case where [itex]f(x)[/itex] is odd, [itex]a_k = 0[/itex] (can you see why?), and the formula for [itex]b_k[/itex] can be simplified as follows:

[tex]\begin{align*}b_k &= \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x) \sin(kx) dx \\
    &= \int_{-\pi}^0 f(x) \sin(kx) dx + \int_{0}^{\pi} f(x) \sin(kx) dx \\
    &= 2 \int_{0}^{\pi} f(x) \sin(kx) dx \end{align*}[/tex]

which matches the formula you are using. Thus if the function is odd, this simplified formula allows you to integrate only over the positive half, [itex][0,\pi][/itex].

10. Oct 4, 2009 #9
    So basicly my fourier series for the sign function over the finite is with that b_k above?

11. Oct 4, 2009 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

12. Oct 4, 2009 #11
    Hi I had some family troubles so I didn't get arround to finishing it.

I did the intermediate calculations for the b_k but how was suppose to compare that result to find the some for the second series that I didn't?

Is it some obvious theorem that I overlooked maybe? Compare two series?

13. Oct 4, 2009 #12
    Did you mean "sign" or --sine--?

14. Oct 4, 2009 #13
    sign function!

15. Oct 4, 2009 #14

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Reply in that other thread and we can continue there.

16. Oct 4, 2009 #15

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right. Just evaluate the integral and simplify and that gives you the [itex]b_k[/itex] values. Then you can plug those into the formula for the Fourier series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook