Fourier Series of a function not centered at zero

In summary, the discussion revolves around the use of Fourier series to represent the function f(x)=x on the interval [0,2). The Fourier series for this function can be written as f(x)=a0/2 + n=1∞∑(an*cos(nπx/L) + bn*sin(nπx/L). The period, T, is taken to be equal to 2L, and in this case T=2 and L=1. The issue arises when considering the limits of integration, as the function is not centered at zero and the range is not [-1,1). However, it is possible to integrate over any part of the periodic function, so choosing the interval where it is easiest to write down
MedPhysKid235

Homework Statement

f(x)=x on [0,2)

Homework Equations

Fourier Series is given as:
f(x)=a0/2 + n=1∑(an*cos(nπx/L) + bn*sin(nπx/L)
a0=1/L*-LL∫f(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically what I am being taught is that we take the Period, T, to be equal to 2L so, T=2L
In this case T=2 and L=1. My issue arises when looking at my limits of integration. If the function was centered at zero and the range was [-1, 1) that would be fine, but in this case it isn't. So doing the integral from -L to L doesn't make sense to me for this question since the function from 0 to 2 which I want to represent by the Fourier series is different than f(x) on -1 to 1.

I guess you could say this is more of a situational based question rather than how to actually solve it, I am just trying to understand which Fourier series equations to use and how to plug the given functions into them, as this was something that was very poorly taught to me and I can't find much information on this situation.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The way your problem is given, there could be many answers. If you just care that you have a FS that represents ##x## on ##[0,2)##, you could, for example, use ##f(x) = |x|## on ##[-2,2]## and expand it in a half-range cosine expansion. Or you could use ##f(x) = x## on ##[-2,2]## and use a half-range sine expansion. Or if you actually want what you have given to be a full period, you could use ##T = 2## and simply take ##a_n = \frac 2 T \int_0^T x \cos(\frac{2n\pi x}{T})## and similarly for ##a_0## and ##b_n##.

In terms of ##L = \frac T 2## your ##a_n = \frac 1 L \int_0^{2L} x \cos(\frac{n\pi x}{L})##. Note that this last integral could be over any period, but you want to use a period where you have the correct formula for ##f(x)##.

Last edited:
Likes NFuller
Remember that the function is assumed to be periodic. I've attached a plot of two periods of the function based on your interpretation of the problem. You should be able to convince yourself that integrating from -1 to 0 gives you the same result as integrating from 1 to 2 since the function of interest, sine, and cosine are all periodic. You can integrate over any interval of length 2L, so choose the one where it's easiest to write down the integrals.

Attachments

• plot.pdf
    12.8 KB · Views: 352
ahhhh, so I can integrate over any part of the periodic function. Thanks so much for the help, I'll let you know how I make out.

MedPhysKid235 said:
ahhhh, so I can integrate over any part of the periodic function. Thanks so much for the help, I'll let you know how I make out.

That is generally true for any periodic function. Say ##f(x)## has period ##P##, so ##f(x+P)=f(x)## for all ##x##. Then ##\int_t^{t+P}~f(x)~dx## is independent of ##t##. So it doesn't matter where the integral starts. While that may seem "obvious", if you want to prove that is true, call that expression ##H(t)## and calculate ##H'(t)##.

1. What is a Fourier series of a function not centered at zero?

A Fourier series of a function not centered at zero is a representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is typically used to approximate a function that is not defined on the entire real line, but only on a finite interval.

2. How is a Fourier series of a function not centered at zero different from a Fourier series of a function centered at zero?

The main difference is that a Fourier series of a function not centered at zero includes a phase shift term, which shifts the function horizontally. This is necessary because the function is not symmetric about the origin, as it would be in the case of a function centered at zero.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Fourier coefficients of a function not centered at zero?

The formula for the Fourier coefficients of a function not centered at zero is given by cn = (1/T) * ∫T0 f(x)e-i2πn/Tdx, where T is the period of the function and f(x) is the periodic function.

4. Can a function not centered at zero have a Fourier series that converges to the original function?

Yes, as long as the function satisfies certain conditions, such as being piecewise continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities within one period. However, the convergence may not be uniform and may depend on the specific function and its period.

5. How is a Fourier series of a function not centered at zero used in real-world applications?

A Fourier series of a function not centered at zero can be used to approximate periodic phenomena in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. It is also used in image and audio compression algorithms, as it can represent complex periodic signals with a small number of coefficients.