Found something odd while procrastinating, fan/computer

• B
  • Thread starter Rainbrew
  • Start date
In summary, the blue and yellow rotating blades on the fan are an illusion caused by the different refresh rates of the monitor.
Rainbrew
So while not doing what I should be I was cooling myself off with this tiny fan with a hand-crank. For some odd reason I decided to point it at my monitor and make it go in reverse and noticed that at a certain speed the blades of the fan appeared to be blue and yellow and rotating in the opposite direction of the actual rotation of the fan. What causes this to occur? I assume it has something to do with the refresh rate of my monitor but I'm clueless as to why this happens. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It must be a stroboscopic effect, like in the movies when the wheels of the stage coach seem to be moving backwards.

Chestermiller said:
It must be a stroboscopic effect, like in the movies when the wheels of the stage coach seem to be moving backwards.
What about the colours? I understand that computer light is naturally heavily saturated with blue, however the polarising filter gets rid of most of that light, so where does the blue and yellow come from?

Rainbrew said:
What about the colours? I understand that computer light is naturally heavily saturated with blue, however the polarising filter gets rid of most of that light, so where does the blue and yellow come from?
The refresh rate must be different for the different colors.

It's a psycho-optic illusion. I don't recall its name so I can't find a reference to it. If I remember the demonstration, it includes a cylinder with alternating black and white stripes on its surface, parallel with the cylinder axis. The cylinder is spinning w/ axis vertical. I think there was also a strobe light involved. The illusion was that the black and white stripes were seen as colored stripes.

I also seem to recall a similar effect with a spinning disk with either radial or spiral lines on it to create color. I think there was a strobe involved here also.

I think it's called the GBTWYB effect.

Get Back To Work Ya Bum.

Likes Tom.G

1. What should I do if I found something odd while procrastinating?

If you have found something odd while procrastinating, it is important to investigate further and determine the cause. Take note of any unusual behavior or changes in your computer or fan. It is also a good idea to consult with a professional if you are unsure of how to address the issue.

2. Could this odd thing be a sign of a larger problem?

While it is possible that the odd thing you found could be a sign of a larger problem, it is important to gather more information before jumping to conclusions. It could simply be a malfunction or a small issue that can easily be fixed.

3. Is it safe to continue using my computer or fan?

If you are unsure about the safety of using your computer or fan after finding something odd, it is best to err on the side of caution and stop using it until you can properly assess the situation. Continuing to use it could potentially worsen the issue or cause further damage.

4. How can I prevent this from happening again?

To prevent finding something odd while procrastinating in the future, it is important to regularly maintain and clean your computer and fan. This can help prevent any malfunctions or issues from arising. It is also a good idea to pay attention to any warning signs or unusual behavior from your devices.

5. Should I be worried about the cost of fixing this issue?

The cost of fixing the issue will depend on the severity and cause of the odd thing you found. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best course of action and get an accurate estimate of the cost. In some cases, it may be a simple and inexpensive fix, while in others it may require more extensive repairs.