Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four bar linkage odd behaviour? (Simscape Multibody)

1. Jul 31, 2016 #1
    Dear community,

I posted this thread in Mathworks Simscape Community two days ago or so. And I have decided to record a video and post all the information in this forum. This is my first time, so hello and thanks for reading!

Last month I was playing around with Simscape Multibody and I realised something. They have a "four bar linkage" preset to simulate its physical behaviour, so I changed a bit the initial positions and I found this:

I have simulated the same mechanism in Autodesk Inventor and It behaves as I expected (as a pendulum). I supposed that the simmetric position in this case should be the equilibrium position, the attractor.

Then, I decided to create a new simulation in Matlab and this very weird situation popped up. But I do not see why, how, where... I mean, It goes far beyond my understanding.

Some data are:

-Connector Link (Yellow bar):
    -Density: 1000 kg/m^3
    -Volume: 10x2x0.5 cm^3

-Rocker Link (Red bar):
    -Density: 100 kg/m^3
    -Volume: 25x2x0.5 cm^3

-Crank Link (Blue bar):
    -Density: 100 kg/m^3
    -Volume: 25x2x0.5 cm^3

Conditions:
    -No friction.
    -No external foces.
    -Just gravitation acting.
    -State targets (initial positions): specified in the video. Sorry about the size. Please watch full screen in 1080.

I would appreciate your comments on this issue, please, I really need it...

Thanks again!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2016 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, what exactly is the issue? Looks to me like the simulation is not reflecting reality due to some minuscule unbalance in forces.

4. Aug 1, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your feedback Mech_Engineer, really appreciate it.

I have refused the possibility you mention because, when initial positions are eliminated (see 1:28 in the embedded video) the linkage behaves as expected. It oscillates around the equilibrium position (the attractor), the simmetric position. I cannot believe that just by changing its initial position, the physical behaviour could vary in such a different way...

I have simulated dynamically the linkage in Autodesk Inventor, and it behaves as shown in the video below:

It definitely looks better... I refuse to believe that a change in initial position might affect (in this way) the dynamics of the mechanism.

To double-check the dynamics of this mechanism, I have simulated in Matlab the mechanism and I have come across the following result:

My results are quite similar to Simscape Multibody (similarly wrong?).
    As you can see (adjusting the resolution to 1080p), it seems there is an attractor when the angle on the upper-left is set to 0.7 Rad, the mechanism shows a minimal displacement. It seems that this position is its equilibrium position, but this is definitely wrong, as it is supposed to be the simmetric position.

I feel quite lost in this regard... Sometimes physical problems are quite frustrating and mind blowers. This one is blowing my self-esteem! XD

Thanks a lot for your time, hope anyone can help me...

5. Aug 1, 2016 #4
    Solved in Mathworks Community (link to the thread).

Thanks to everyone

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted