1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Mass Flow Rate and the Exit Flow Area

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Air enters aone-inlet, one-exit contreol volume at 6 bar, 500K and 30m/s through a flow area of 28cm3. At the exit the pressure is 3 bar, the temperature is 456.5 K and the velocity is 300 m/s. The air behaves as an ideal gas. For steady state operation determine

a) the mass flow rate, in kg/s
    b) the exit flow area, in cm3

2. Relevant equations

m' = dm/dt = ρvA

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the area of the cross section, A, and the velocity at both ends, but I'm not sure about the ρ.

Can I use:

ρ = p/RT to find the air density?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2
    I've managed to find the mass flow rate, using the density equation given above, I found the air density and then plugged this number into m' =ρvA

m' = (4.1803 kg/m3)(30 m/s)(28cm2)

m' = 0.351 kg/s

Does the mass flow rate stay constant? Can I rework these equations to find the Exit flow area?

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Mass is a a conserved quantity. In steady state, the mass within the volume is neither increasing nor decreasing, so the mass flow rate in must equal the mass flow rate out.

5. Feb 6, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Areas are usually measured in square cm, rather than cubic cm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook