Four Wires and y component of magnetic field at center

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
skibum143
Messages
112
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The four wires that lie at the corners of a square of side a=5.10cm are carrying equal currents i=2.40Amps into (+) or out of (-) the page, as shown in the picture.

Calculate the y component of the magnetic field at the center of the square.


Homework Equations


B field = u0 I / (2 pi r)
a^2 + b^2 = c^2


The Attempt at a Solution


Since at the origin there are two fields pointing up and to the right at 45 degrees, and two fields pointing up and to the left at 45 degrees, the total y component is 4 * sin45 * u0 I / (2 pi r).

r = sqrt [ (a/2)^2 + (a/2)^2 ] or 1.697

u0 = 4pi*10^-7

Using these numbers I got 8*10^-7 T but this is wrong. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

THanks!
Diagram is attached.
 
Attachments
  • four wires.gif
    four wires.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 850
Physics news on Phys.org
skibum143 said:

The Attempt at a Solution


Since at the origin there are two fields pointing up and to the right at 45 degrees, and two fields pointing up and to the left at 45 degrees, the total y component is 4 * sin45 * u0 I / (2 pi r).

So far, so good.

r = sqrt [ (a/2)^2 + (a/2)^2 ] or 1.697

Try plugging in the numbers again. The equation seems right, but not so much the 1.697 part.