1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series and the Riemann-Zeta Function

1. Apr 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the Fourier series technique to show that the following series sum to the quantities shown:
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^4}=\frac{\pi^4}{90}[/tex]
    [tex]1+\frac{1}{3^2}+\frac{1}{5^2}+...=\frac{\pi^2}{8}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    I know the Riemann-Zeta function is
    [tex]\zeta (m)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^m}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first series, I know that it's the evaluation of [itex]\zeta (4)[/itex]. The problem is getting the derivation down. I've found an example of it being solved and proven at [itex]\zeta (2)[/itex] here: http://planetmath.org/?op=getobj&from=objects&name=ValueOfTheRiemannZetaFunctionAtS2 . The problem is, I don't really understand what to define as the initial function [itex]f(x)[/itex].

For the second series, I think I've found it to be:
    [tex]\frac{1}{(2n-1)^2}[/tex]
    After that, I don't know how to go about solving it using the Fourier method. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2007 #2
    By "Fourier series technique", do you mean expand the 1/n4 or the 1/(2n - 1)2 into its Fourier series?

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    A general method appears in the paper 'Recursive Formulas for [itex]\zeta(2k)[/tex] and [itex]L(2k-1)[/tex]' by Xuming Chen.

Generally, try [itex]f(x) = x^{2k}[/tex] for your function (an even one on x here) in a Fourier expansion to get [itex]\zeta(2k)[/tex], and consider the derivative of the expansion to get [itex]L(2k-1)[/tex] (the L function here is the analogue of the Riemann zeta on odd numbers only).

5. Dec 20, 2008 #4
    but still you ll not express

[itex]\zeta(2k+1)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?