Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform and Hilber transform, properties

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1
    Textbook says, Fourier transform expresses a function in time domain as a function in frequency domain. Basically, fourier transform gives two different expressions in terms of t domain and f domain but they represent the same signal.

It also says Hilbert transform is a different type of transform because it gives a new signal not equal to the previous one.

However, I do not think Fourier transform does 1 to 1 mapping since we have to integrate t for -infinity to +infinity. (ex, t=1 converts to f=constant.) I understand F.T shifts the domain, but strictly speaking, I don't think they have exactly the same structure (function-wise).

In contrast, Hilber transform does 1 to 1 mapping as it shifts the original function by 90 degree. In this case function structure is conserved.

I wonder why we say Hilbert transform is a totally different signal from the original one. is it because they are physically different?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fourier transform is 1-1. The inverse transform will give you the same function back (except on a set of measure 0).

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

With what domain and codomain?

5. Mar 10, 2015 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reals and reals.

6. Mar 10, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So the Fourier transform of a real number is a real number?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook