Fourier Transform of Integral of Product of Functions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
WarnK
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Hi!

I want to find the Fourier transform of

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^t f(s-t)g(s) ds[/tex].

The FT

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^t h(s) ds \rightarrow H(\omega)/i\omega + \pi H(0) \delta(\omega)[/tex]

is found in lots of textbooks. So if I let h(s) = f(s-t)g(s), I need to find the FT of h(s)

[tex]H(\omega) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} h(s) \frac{e^{-i\omega s}}{\sqrt(2\pi)}ds = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(s-t)g(s) \frac{e^{-i\omega s}}{\sqrt(2\pi)} ds[/tex].

But there I'm stumped, what can I do? I can do FT of products like f(s)g(s), but this isn't exactly like that.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Defennder said:
Did you try the Fourier transform of a convolution?

yeah, but the OP needs to reverse the "time" argument in f(.).

WarnK, where did you get that icky [itex]1/\sqrt{2 \pi}[/itex] definition for the F.T.?

i really recommend this definition:

[tex]X(f) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x(t) e^{-i 2 \pi f t} dt[/tex]

with inverse

[tex]x(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} X(f) e^{i 2 \pi f t} df[/tex]

while remembering that [itex]\omega \equiv 2 \pi f[/itex], and when comparing to the double-sided Laplace Transform to substitute [itex]i \omega \leftarrow s[/itex].

it will make your life much easier.