Fourier transform of rect function

In summary, the Fourier transform of rect(t-5) is equal to sinc(w/2)e^(-jw5). This can be found by making the substitution t' = t-5 and then integrating, and then multiplying the result by e^-jw5. The value of \omega is equal to 2\pi f, where f is the frequency.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

From the definition of the Fourier transform, find the Fourier transform of rect(t-5).

Homework Equations

[tex]G(w) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}g(t)e^{jwt}dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I sketched the function which has area 1 and centre at 5, with its lower bound @ 4.5 and upper at 5.5. SOOOO cannot I not just write[tex]G(w) = \int^{5.5}_{4.5}1e^{jwt}dt[/tex]

for it's Fourier transform? Is that allowed. I know the rect function some how turns into sinc, but in this case how?

I can prove with limits -a and +a but when you have 2 positive or 2 negative limits you don't get the sin(-ax) = -sin(ax) which keeps the sine and gets rid of the cosine!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
why not try shifting the integal by using the transform s = t-5

I got the answer in the end by a clever little exponent trick. However the very next question on my question sheet is "Using the time shift property, compute again the Fourier transform of rect(t-5) and compare the 2 results"

The results being the one I compute for this one and the previous one (which I got sinc(w/2)e^(-jw5))

So basically I'm shifting the rect back around 0, so from -0.5 to 0.5. I believe the shift theorem says that a shift in the time domain translate to a shift in the phase... so a shift of 5 means I have to multiply the exponent value by 5.

Therefore I'm integrating (wrt t) between -0.5 and 0.5 e^(-5jwt)

which gives [tex]\frac{1}{-5jw}[e^{-5jwt}]^{0.5}_{-0.5}[/tex]

Using euler to expand and sticking in the limits I get sinc(5/2 jwt)

Does that sound correct? I don't see how the 2 answers compare. Have I done it wrong? Can someone shed some light?

Thanks
Thomas

Ok so I have to multiply by e^-j2pi(a) where a is the distance of the rect function (centre) to the origin? I was using omega. What's going on?

Euuughhhh what does w (omega) equal again? Isn't it 2pi*f? I don't have an f? Maybe I'm just confusing myself...

After an hours break...

I think i have it:
Can I confirm that all you do is perform the Fourier transform THEN multiply by e^-jwa

and w = 2pi/t (which is 2pi f)

Right?

thomas49th said:
After an hours break...

I think i have it:
Can I confirm that all you do is perform the Fourier transform THEN multiply by e^-jwa
Yes, that's right. Note you get this result simply by making the substitution t' = t-a and then integrating.
and w = 2pi/t (which is 2pi f)

Right?
Not quite or you're being sloppy. [itex]\omega=2\pi f[/itex] is correct, but [itex]\omega=2\pi/t[/itex] isn't (t is your integration variable).

1. What is a Fourier transform of a rect function?

A Fourier transform of a rect function is a mathematical operation that converts a rect function, also known as a rectangular function or a box function, from its original time domain representation to its frequency domain representation. It is a way to describe a signal in terms of its component frequencies.

2. How is a Fourier transform of a rect function calculated?

The Fourier transform of a rect function is calculated by taking the integral of the rect function multiplied by a complex exponential with the frequency variable. This integral is taken from negative infinity to positive infinity. The resulting expression is a function of the frequency variable, which represents the amplitude and phase of each frequency component of the original signal.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier transform of a rect function?

The Fourier transform of a rect function is significant because it allows us to analyze a signal in terms of its frequencies, which can provide useful information about the signal. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and other fields of science and engineering to analyze and manipulate signals.

4. What are some properties of the Fourier transform of a rect function?

Some properties of the Fourier transform of a rect function include linearity, time and frequency shifting, time and frequency scaling, and convolution. These properties allow for easier analysis and manipulation of signals in the frequency domain.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Fourier transform of a rect function?

One limitation of the Fourier transform of a rect function is that it assumes the signal is periodic and extends to infinity. In reality, many signals are not truly periodic and may have finite duration. Additionally, the Fourier transform does not provide information about the time or phase of the signal, only the frequency components. Therefore, it may not be suitable for certain applications that require precise timing information.