Fourier transform of sin(3pix/L)

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we want sine in terms of the exponentials when we take the fourier transform [tex]F(k)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex] where [itex]f(x)=\sin(3\pi x/L)[/itex]. Let a=3pi/L. Then [tex]\sin(ax)=\frac{e^{iax}-e^{-iax}}{2i}[/tex].
(Is this correct?)
Then we can take the fourier transform:
[tex]F(k)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{iax}-e^{-iax}}{2i}e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]. Rearranging gives [tex]\frac{1}{2i}[\delta(K+a)-\delta(K-a)][/tex]. But my notes says there is [itex]\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex] in front and I'm not sure where it came from?
Any help will be appreciated.

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we want sine in terms of the exponentials when we take the fourier transform [tex]F(k)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex] where [itex]f(x)=\sin(3\pi x/L)[/itex]. Let a=3pi/L. Then [tex]\sin(ax)=\frac{e^{iax}-e^{-iax}}{2i}[/tex].
(Is this correct?)
Then we can take the fourier transform:
[tex]F(k)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{iax}-e^{-iax}}{2i}e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]. Rearranging gives [tex]\frac{1}{2i}[\delta(K+a)-\delta(K-a)][/tex]. But my notes says there is [itex]\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex] in front and I'm not sure where it came from?
Any help will be appreciated.
Google is your friend; look up "Dirac delta function".

Likes BvU
Google is your friend; look up "Dirac delta function".
I don't understand how to apply the dirac delta function here? I just used the integral representation of delta to get to the last line.

Oh I am missing 2pi when I integrate. But where is the square root coming from?

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
You're probably using a different convention for the Fourier transform compared to what was done in your notes (or your notes are wrong). I think you also made a sign error.