1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of tent signal

1. Jun 15, 2009 #1
    Hello, I'm having an issue with a given problem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using Parseval's Equation find the energy of the signal [tex]z(t)=\frac{4}{4+t^{2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The book solves that problem by using the tent signal CTFT and duality property (i.e ). However that properly isn't in the formula sheet, and the book derives it inversely!

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to develop it by plugging [tex]z(t)[/tex] into the CTFT analysis equation, but it becomes a serious mess with integration by parts.

So what should I do? Take the tent property as it is and apply it to the question?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I would suggest you try doing a partial fraction decomposition on z(t). That should simplify things a little (also keep in mind the time shifting property of the convolution). I believe this works, but I haven't done a Fourier transform in a few years...

EDIT: And welcome to PhysicsForums!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook